back to article VMware announces compulsory bi-ennial VCP recertification

VMware has announced a Recertification Policy for holders of the VMware Certified Professional (VCP) qualification, who will henceforth have to re-qualify every two years. VMware says “Earning a VCP certification is a great achievement. But staying up to date in the expertise gained and proven by your certification is equally …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Squeezing more revenue from existing users

There is a limit to what you can squeeze from the peasants in cloudland

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/22/the_land_of_licensing/

The TCO of a VM if you run it on Vmware is now comparable with the TCO of stacking a cheap low end microserver into the rack and running it on physical. When the physical becomes significantly cheaper (and it will at this rate) I foresee a revolt of the peasants in cloudland.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Squeezing more revenue from existing users

The revolt has already started. Hyper-V - which has a substantially lower TCO - already has approaching a third of the Hypervisor market!

2. Candy

As a contractor, the big change here is that I can finally see VCP as a viable certification route. Taking physically present courses (and paying for them) is a massively expensive way to extend your CV as an independent.

Finally, I can get certification for the expertise I've developed over the years without the whole thing seeming like a money pit.For reference, I have certs from several others including M$ and Cisco.

The value of these certs for me is as door-openers for interviews and, on that basis, it was previously difficult to justify any of the VMWare certs relative to extending the others.

3. TomasF

The only actual change here is that if you don't recertify when a new product is out, you'll lose the right to claim to be VCP. That said, most places I've been, saying you're a "VCP" is immediately followed up by "VCPx?" with x being the current VMware major version.

And since VMware for years have offered a grace period where existing VCPs can upgrade their VCP cert by taking the exam without a course within a few months of the new version being available, I don't see this as a big change.

I took both my VCP4 and VCP5 exams without courses after taking the mandatory course just for my VCP3 exam.

1. Velv

My proven skills in version X are not diminished by the release of version Y - its simply that the demand in the market for X are greatly diminished. Taking one exam from a selection every two years doesn't prove your knowledge is current - it simply states you've paid your (bi)-annual fee. To make "recertification" valid there should be a specific exam that covers a broad range of products and technologies considered current - an "upgrade" exam if you like.

While in theory Certifications open the doors to interviews, I've always found its more about who I know rather than the bits of paper I've got.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't mind if it was actually useful. It's yet another example of an IT memory test. Absolutely no indication of technical ability. If you need to know config maximums, then pull out the docs.

5. Fraserrr
    Thumb Up

No problem here....

Fine with this, don't see this as an issue - keeps people up to date as they should be!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lack of long term thinking

VMware are probably the greediest and of the major U$A corporations when it comes to certification. The more enlightened companies run the certification programmes to provide a people with experience of a product.

There isn't much point in having product if few people can use of configure it.

VMware seem to be using it as a profit centre:

• Exams are more expensive than both Micro$oft and Ci$co

• New entrants before you take an exam, you must sit a course which costs £3,000

• If you have previously certified with an VCP, you have a 6 month Horizon window to sit the upgrade exam. If you don’t do it within this time window you have to attend a course!

VMware contents that by requiring attendance of a course they avoid people studying just for the exam rather than the material. Two points to this, as many who have attended a 5 day course can testify:

1. It is debatable how much you can learn over a 5 day period, by Thursday afternoon must people are in a stupor.

2. If you look at certification forums, VMware VCP try to braindump just as much as the Cisco or Microsoft people.

I don’t see the point of trying to turn certification into a money making exercise, as ultimately you will have less “people” around who understand your product.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vmware time left

How much time does vmware have before Microsoft offering is good enough or better? Once microsoft get goings and starts to offer advantages through licence deals it might be game over for VMware.

8. lubbertdas

Hyper-V/Microsoft's Awful Support Will Keep it From Dominating

Microsoft's horrible support for Hyper-V, especially when contrasted with VMware support, will keep it from dominating.

Any company using Hyper-V for large-scale environments needs a lot of luck.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMware "not just hypervisor"

Had a chat with our VMware partner manager the other day and he stressed that VMware's focus is no longer the hypervisor, it's all the management and functionality they now provide - i.e. all the tech from the companies they've bought over the last 18 months. I think they realise that Hyper-V is taking a big chunk of their market and are trying to "reinvent" themselves. Good luck!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like