back to article So. Farewell then Steelie Neelie: You were WORSE than USELESS

Neelie Kroes' stint as the EU's “Commissioner for a Digital Agenda” ends when the Barroso II Commission closes up shop in the autumn. Perhaps the post should be abolished with her departure. The Dutch economist could have carved out a distinctly European approach, distinct from the Asian autocracies and American Wild West, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Semtex451

So for the simpleminded like myself, and presupposing the role should exist, what then should the new Commissioners agenda be exactly?

Say over the next 4 years.

Could we have that bullet-pointed?

2. Silver

Roaming

Wasn't this the same Neelie who was "amazed" that people turn off data roaming when abroad because they don't want to be hit by sky high charges?

It must be nice to have unlimited internet access on your phone wherever you go in the world with the bill picked up by someone else. That's the only reason I can come up with that explains her surprise.

1. ratfox
      Stop

She was amazed at the stupidity of the situation

And she actually did quite a job fixing it. It is largely thanks to her that roaming bills are now capped.

1. Silver
        FAIL

Re: She was amazed at the stupidity of the situation

And she actually did quite a job fixing it. It is largely thanks to her that roaming bills are now capped.

If that is the case, then I think that the premise of this article (that she was "worse than useless") is not only incorrect but also rather unfair.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: She was amazed at the stupidity of the situation

Vodafone had a flat rate tenner a day roaming plan years ago. I know, because I used it. Now we have all kinds of deals cheaper than the EU mandated rate. Only idiots were gouged for data, and only idiots need the EU to save them from their own stupidity.

2. fandom

Re: Roaming

Not even close, the quote is:

“I am honestly shocked by these figures," said EC veep and unelected digital czar Neelie Kroes. "It shows we have to finish the job and eliminate roaming charges. Consumers are limiting their phone use in extreme ways and this makes no sense for the companies either.

The register published it only a few days ago

1. foo_bar_baz

Re: Roaming

Please stop with the "unelected" stupidity.

Ministers are not elected. Neither are civil servants. They still run the show in every democracy. The legislators are elected.

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Once upon a time

Neelie deserved the "Steelie". Maybe she should have clung on to the competition portfolio. I always felt the "digital agenda" portfolio had "FAD" printed over it in large friendly letters

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Data just wants to be 'free'....The "Providers" just want to rape you for added benefit.

Free of restrictions, free of recrimination, free of stupidity, free of anyones interference, free of ridiculous charges.

Not free of charge.

Here in the USA we have VERY little choice in who provides internet service and the required bandwith. AT&T wants to be 100% wireless, Verizon is giving up wires for fiber but you lose all POTs service if you can change, Comcast just bought Time Warner, who already bought most of the locals.

WHAT competition?

The cable or fiber providers will not tell you that ALL DIGITAL TV is "streamed". It "eats" bandwidth so your "internet" bandwidth is compromised by EVERYTHING people are watching. Wireless does not have enough bandwidth.

WHAT do you do?

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Insert Commissioner here

I'm not if it's really fair to criticise Mrs Kroes in this way. The remit "digital agenda" is a bit stupid anyway and comes from the need to have as many commissioners as member states seeing as no one, not even the apparently so efficiency-minded Brits, is prepared to sacrifice one in the name of efficiency. So, in addition to some of the good commissioners and the usual fluff, we got some "job-fors". She was quite good as competition commissioner but got moved sideways to make way for Almuña - Spain being bigger than the Netherlands.

Then again, this is a bit of a storm in a teacup - she doesn't have much of a budget. You'll find more guff and waste in any quango. And criticising any policy "statements" made via Twitter seems a bit like scraping the barrel to me. Does anyone take anything posted on it, seriously?

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@Steve Todd

I don't think Kroes has much to do with roaming. Most of the work was done by Viviane Reding when she was Telecoms and Media Commissioner. At least she kept a good position in the reshuffle and became Justice Commissioner.

7. Rathernicelydone

A bit of a hatchet job from Andrew Orlowski who's pieces I usually enjoy reading. To be honest the only thing I can recall Kroes working on is the whole mobile roaming issue and also harmonising the EU's telecoms regulation which I can't imagine is a bad thing.

I'm no expert on Net Neutrality but from the piece I gather Andrew is not happy that she didn't pursue this area more vigorously? In which case I suggest this is an area way outside her pay grade as its a global concern and her focus should be on EU wide issues.

I'm not defending Kroes but if you look at the uselessness of OFCOM than in comparison perhaps her impact isn't as useless as Andrew suggests.

8. foo_bar_baz

Honest question re. public Internet backbone

What is Andrew O. going on about with regard to the degredation of the public Internet backbone? Can someone explain with examples?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like