back to article Microsoft: Hey, small biz devs – Windows Store apps are for you, too

We reckon there haven't been many line-of-business apps built for Windows 8's Modern UI so far, but Microsoft has now made it easier for companies that want to do so. Most Windows 8 Apps are downloaded and installed from the Windows Store – which is why Microsoft has taken to calling them "Windows Store Apps" following the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim99 Silver badge
    Windows

Been somewhere similar, done something similar

As a "nearly as old as dirt" retired developer who has actually written small biz Windows apps, my immediate reaction was: "What could possibly go wrong", followed by the thought "How likely is this to go tits-up in a small biz production environment", leading to the conclusion: "Customers are not going to like this".

2. Tannin

Next question please

So now anyone can write for Metro. Um ... but why would anyone want to?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't help but feel these announcements are all part of some extended april fool joke...

Still, nice to see some sanity restored after the last few years that have been technically promising (Azure, server 2012 etc) but totally undermined by suicidal policy and desktop design decisions. That hybrid start menu\tile screenshot would have avoided most of this metro-ification furore that has got everyone pissd off.

4. Dalkeith

Always welcome but I doubt take up will be massive still requires too much configuration for people that often don 't understand the listed concepts.

5. Dinsdale247

Long Live BSD

I have been a Windows Developer and Microsofty for a long time. I don't mind paying for software that integrates and works well together like the Microsoft environment, but this has all gone too far. I can't run away from next gen Windows and cloud lock in fast enough. Anytime a company moves perfectly good client side software into the server without giving you a massive advantage (i.e. Office365) they are doing it to lock you down. I'm also not a fan of Mr. Stallman either so I've been picking up FreeBSD as fast as I can. If I'm moving to the cloud it's going to be on my terms...

6. Dalkeith

Step in the right direction but still think there's too much configuration for your average small business owner. They really need to get it so your granny can configure it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is a small business likely to develop its own apps, or buy them in?

In the case of the former, they probably have the technical nous in-house to deploy them.

If the latter then they should be (ought to be) able to get a third party in to configure the deployment.

7. Eponymous Cowherd
    WTF?

Am I reading this right?

"Finally, customers who don't fit either of these criteria but who want to sideload apps will be able to purchase new sideloading keys through Redmond's Open License program, also beginning on May 1. The new keys will cost $100 apiece, and each can be used to enable sideloading on an unlimited number of devices."

$100 extra to install bought-and-paid-for apps on a bought-and-paid-for computer running a bought-and-paid-for OS?

Fuck RIGHT off Microsoft!!

1. PeterI

Re: Am I reading this right?

Sounds more like it's a hundred quid for me as a developer to install on unlimited machines. i.e. I'm paying not the end user.

It's always been one of the things missing as a smaller ISV and at least it's less than a VeriSign certificate for code signing purposes.

1. Eponymous Cowherd

Ah, yes, that seems more reasonable. Please ignore my earlier rant.

2. Dalkeith

At least you can re-charge to client - as long as they get the code and don't have to repay.

I've seen that model where you develop in a technology and then the customer has to pay the tehnology company every year on top of your one of fee. I kid you not.

8. poopypants

What could be simpler?

I before e, except after c, where there's an "e" sound. Except species, science, sufficient, seize, weird, vein, their, foreign, feisty...

Got it!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like