back to article Google sees Microsoft's iPad bet, raises with fondleslab Docs and Sheets

Google is bringing its Docs and Sheets applications to Apple's iOS as a pair of standalone apps for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. The company said that the two productivity apps will be tailored for both Apple's handset and tablet lines with the ability to function with online, or offline as local tools. Both Docs and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Byz

I hate apps tied to different clouds

The big thing now seems to release an app that can only work with your cloud :(

This is the equivalent of having to have a separate disk drive for each program you run on a computer!

I've downloaded office for iPad but don't use it as I haven't got a 365 account, I'd rather use Dropbox or iCloud.

The best apps give you flexibility of use and I don't begrudge a fee for that usability, but I'm dammed if I'm going to pay an annual fee to store stuff on a cloud that I never wanted to use in the first place :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I hate apps tied to different clouds

Surprised, my beloved consumer ? You'll have to learn how to live with it! Oh, and all this is to offer an engaging user experience for you and a steady revenue stream for them (it's like what farmers are calling milking).

2. h4rm0ny

Re: I hate apps tied to different clouds

>>"I've downloaded office for iPad but don't use it as I haven't got a 365 account, I'd rather use Dropbox or iCloud."

Can you not save things locally on the iPad? I'd be surprised if you can't because I can with Office 365 on other devices. Office 365 is the office suite. The storage solution is OneDrive. They're different things. I have a subscription to Office 365 (installed on several devices) and I can open and save files to anywhere I want - doesn't have to be OneDrive.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

OUR CLOUD!

"Hey there, please store your files on our cloud. You don't want to trust your hard drive, that'll fail you know, but this cloud? It's here forever baby. What? You have backups? No, don't be trusting those bad boys, trust us, we REALLY want you to store your files in OUR cloud, on OUR systems.

"What? You think we're going to read your files? Not at all! That's not why we REALLY want you to store your files on OUR cloud. Not even a little bit! No, we want you to experience the convenience of having your files where you can always access them (as long as you have an internet connection), like OUR cloud - which will become YOUR cloud. It's better than some silly SD card on your phone, oh but it is."

1. h4rm0ny

Re: OUR CLOUD!

>>"Hey there, please store your files on our cloud. You don't want to trust your hard drive, that'll fail you know, but this cloud? It's here forever baby. What? You have backups? "

Thing is, huge numbers of people don't have backups. And when they do it's not set up to automatically sync and serve the files on there across multiple devices (which may not even be on the same network). For a lot, Cloud storage is both cheaper and a lot less hassle.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like