back to article Yaarrgh! LOOK OUT! UK set to be BURIED under MOUNTAIN of TABLETS

Retailers and distributors are buried under a "consumer mountain" of fondleslabs with the major channel-cramming culprit – according to our sources – a certain large South Korean vendor whose name begins with an S. According to current stats from Stock In The Channel, a web-based tool that provides live data feeds from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure this is quite dreadful, but...

People are going to pick up some good stuff cheap eventually. The trick is just to wait for it.

1. Tom 7

Re: I'm sure this is quite dreadful, but...

My daughters tablet cost less than £80 last xmas and does everything it needs to do. It can be got for £60 now. Theres an 8 core phone from china for about £100 so I can see 4core tablets for under a ton with HDMI/usb and I cant see the average user needing any more than that - in fact you can develop on something like that already but rooting and sticking a tablet linux on and your pretty much world in pocket.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I bought a dual core one just over a year ago. It was ok then, nothing special, but the battery is now useless and it runs like a dog.

That said, makes a decent basic media player for streaming the likes of iPlayer to my normal TV.

2. Paul Shirley

The price bloodbath started before xmas for Samsung devices, prices for others makes took a while longer. With the 'love it/loath it' S3 firmware and so much overstock they had to jump first.

...that's not to say prices can't drop a lot more, though beating the £119 I pad for an LG G-Pad last month by much seems unlikely. S3's might soon be turning up in cereal boxes though and low end devices seem to have no floor price.

2. James 51

Picked my second playbook up cheap, will probably still be using it for another two or three years till the battery goes. That combined with the increase in the cost of living means I don't see a reason to but another tablet no matter how cheap it is.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah Samsung

The company that seems to count kit in the channel as SOLD.

don't we have enough crap fondleslabs on sale over here already?

Will the average idiot in PC World be able to distinguish between them? Probably not.

It is a sad day when the limited of devices from Apple actually seems to be an advantage (purely on the levels on mind numbing choices and nothing else)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Acer and HP

"an inventory strategy that served Acer well until demand for netbook and low-cost notebooks collapsed in late 2010."

Don't know about everyone else, but the reason I bought an Acer netbook was because it was on for 150 quid. Even the girl at the till couldn't believe it.

A useful little machine, still gets used occasionally!

The other device I picked up was an HP Touchpad, which ended up as a cracking tablet. In fact, some of the features, such as bluetooth calling to a mobile, aren't available on my Android tablet.

Was great until it ended up consuming a spilt glass of wine, it has never woken up since.

5. Simon Harris
    Unhappy

"Samsung anointed the 'new Acer' by channel"

I hope not - my Acer laptop was pants!

6. PaulR79

Samsung flooding the channel

They release new versions of their tablets each year and almost nothing changes. How do they hope to sell anything when the 2012 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 has practically identical specs to the 2013 Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 ? Hell, the 2012 tablet can be updated to a newer version officially than the 2013 model making it seem like they're moving backwards.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5422&idPhone2=4543

A comparison of the two to back up what I said above. The main differences I noted are slightly faster CPU, infrared port and the ability to use a larger SD card. The price they charge for them as well is ludicrious when the Nexus 7s (original and 2013 model) are better.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not surprised

Who would want that rubbish piece of junk anyway? Those that buy on specs sheets, yet then it is to expensive, and by the time it is cheap enough, it is too old fashioned....

That sums it up pretty much to me....Or just get a Nexus instead....

8. Steven Raith
    Coat

A mountain of tablet?

Bad for your teeth, but deliciously moreish up to the point where you start to feel sick.

9. psychonaut

Stock in the Channel

stupid place to keep it

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like