back to article Point DNS blitzed by mystery DDoS assault

Domain hosts Point DNS has been hammered with a high intensity DDoS attack on Friday, knocking servers out for hours. The size of the attack and techniques used - much less who might be behind the attack - remains unclear. Several Reg readers got in touch to notify us about the issue and the company confirmed the attack online …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

you reported on this?

But missed recent 100Gbit+ UltraDNS DDOS huh.......I took the opportunity to poke fun at Neustar (I am a customer of theirs for another service) since they constantly hound me on how great their DDOS protection is.

I've been using Dyn(enterprise DNS not their cheap/free stuff), and while I have seen them take DDOS attacks, I have yet to notice any impact. Their 15-second SLA is too tight for us to even really measure. Haven't noticed any DNS-related things in the 6 years I've been with em across various companies.

I'm sure others fare well too..Dyn isn't the only provider in town though UltraDNS admitted that Dyn is a "solid #2". I remember when Amazon added Dyn to their name server list, apparently another UltraDNS DDOS caused amazon some headache so they decided to start using both companies (which is a good strategy for any big company, don't rely on a single provider of DNS the cost isn't that much).

2. -v(o.o)v-

Such attacks against authoritative DNS servers may be mitigated quite successfully with anycasted servers and Response Rate Limiting.

Sounds like the victim did not use them. At least RRL is very easy to configure and cheap so there is no excuse to not use it. Anycast at scale may be cost-prohibitive for small shops.

3. Stretch

are they being attacked or is someone trying to use them as part of an attack?

1. Horus

If I read correctly, THEY were being attacked. Reason being, most likely to cause as many problems for their customers as possible. It seems that by affecting their network, it affected many companies. The attack was larger than they have seen before and just weren't prepared for that size. It basically bogged their system down to the point where you couldn't resolve the websites linked to them. So if you typed in the web address in the url, it wouldn't find it due to resolving the name to IP and pulling that information... I BELIEVE.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like