back to article HP: OpenStack's networking nightmare Neutron 'was everyone's fault'

HP has admitted that the networking component of OpenStack sucks, and that the community needs to have a serious think about how to develop it in the future. The enterprise IT company's chief operating officer for cloud, Saar Gillai, told El Reg on Tuesday that the reason why OpenStack's "Neutron" system has had so many …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's with all the Xen is obsolete talk I hear?

Honestly, is it a VMWare world?

1. Nate Amsden

Re: What's with all the Xen is obsolete talk I hear?

I suppose you haven't heard of kvm and hyper v. Xen has been obsolete for years even citrix admits it. Props to them for acknowledging the fact. But if your really strapped for cash it can work. Thats how citrix pitches it. Just technically it is obsolete compared to vmware anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you really need to emulate an entire system, then KVM is your best option. VMWare is difficult to configure, requiring a Windows machine last time I checked (which is also why we don't use it at the company I work for).

For most things, though, we use LXC, basically a glorified chroot, so some things are just a tad different, but it's very fast having almost zero overhead.

1. ByeLaw101

"requiring a Windows machine last time I checked "

Unless I missed your point, VMWare runs fine under linux and has done for many a year. I don't find it that hard to configure either?

1. Mad Chaz

I agree vmware is easy to configure, but you do need a windows machine to do the administration for ESX and the likes. No proper linux admin client.

2. frymaster

"Unless I missed your point, VMWare runs fine under linux and has done for many a year"

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006095

A native client is not available. The web interface includes "includes a subset of the functions available in the vSphere Client"

1. MrSeaneyC

To be fair, the web client does also have some of functions not available in the J# client, meaning it's a total pain in the balls for anyone administering a VMware environment and using all features. Woe betide the person foolish enough to upgrade their machines to version 10 in 5.5 then find the J# client suddenly becomes useless for any machine changes.

Not to mention the web client pretty much exclusively uses flash meaning it's slow and generally a bit crap.

I'm not really a Linux/*nix/*nix-like guy but I was under the impression that there were other better mechanisms available to achieve most aims of virtualisation for Windows? Partitions? Zones in Solaris? Something like that.

vCenter 6.0 really needs some kind of HTML5 interface

2. foo_bar_baz

Xen is obsolete in the sense that KVM is replacing it pretty fast.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"KVM is replacing it pretty fast."

KVM has a less than 1% market share - and I suspect that the number of Xen installs being replaced by KVM are vastly outnumbered by those being replaced by Hyper-V and VMWare - both of which outperform KVM.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What, vendor benchmarks show vendor assets perform better?

It also depends if your VMs are started. I was at a clients Monday, a Hyper-V host needed a reboot, the locally hosted VMs were set to suspend, when the server finished rebooting only a minority of the VMs were back running. Typical MS Windows shite, you can't rely on it _to do the same thing twice_.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the networking component of OpenStack sucks"

It all sucks. You need to invest hundreds of hours to get a fully working / automated stack. This is really only suitable for massive service providers than can put up with the vast maintenance overhead versus the no licensing costs.

1. FoolRides

It's not that bad if you disregard Neutron. Admittedly i've had some practise, but last time it took me only a couple of days effort to set up an HA stack from metal.

Neutron then proceeded to take me weeks of dicking about to get right for what the customer wanted.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like