back to article Google snaps up Divide to splice biz and personal phones together

Google is preparing to bring unruly employee-owned phones under corporate dominion through the acquisition of a company that makes mobile device management tech. The enterprise smartphone startup Divide wrote on Monday that it had been acquired by the ad-slinger for an undisclosed sum. "We're thrilled to announce that Divide …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christoph

Is the personal side secure too?

Is the personal data secure from being read or wiped by the remote management tool?

2. Mr Anonymous

?

Is it going to stop any of your data going to google?

3. My backside

Unnecessary

Meh.

4. Vernon

Cheapskate employers

WHY?

If you need a phone for work, then why would you use your personal phone? Cheapskate employers!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I don't understand is

why wouldn't an employer buy one of those dumb phones you can usually buy for a few bucks and give it to me ? Really, this BYOD stuff is ludicrous because the problem is not the phone, it's my monthly plan. How is this thing from Google make sure my minutes are clearly split between business and personal use ? Who is going to sift through my invoice and calculate how much I will have to pay and more important, who's going to pay if I will bust my voice/data monthly plan, me or my employer ?

6. Steven Davison

@Christoph, Is the personal side secure too?

It would depend on the back-end implementation. As far as I understand it, Divide focuses on the Email integration etc

On Secure Mobile/MobileIron, the device can be wiped by the remote end. The secure container can be removed in a separate process.

7. Oldfogey

Nokia 1101

Like to see them run this on the Nokia 1101 I used to use for work. Never used it for anything else, and turned it off out of work hours.

Billed the company for any work calls I made as well.

If they didn't like it they could buy me a later model, but I would still turn it off out of hours.

Of course I had a proper phone for private use.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like