back to article Microsoft: Take a seat over there, SAP, on the AZURE CLOUD

SAP’s business applications have landed on Microsoft’s Windows Azure cloud infrastructure service. The German software giant and the Redmond IT juggernaut said on Monday that a number of SAP’s business applications will be certified on Microsoft’s cloud by the end of June. Among this software will be SAP's Business Suite, All …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No clue

Microsoft + SAP = Recipe for disaster!

1. Stephen Channell
      Meh

Sign of further maturing in the IaaS space

Wasn’t that long ago that Microsoft was running SAP R2 on an IBM mainframe for their ERP, and they nearly merged before MS bought Great Plains for Dynamics. MS only migrated away from SAP when Dynamics scalability was addressed. The mainframe MS used for SAP is less powerful than a standard Windows VM.

SAP HANA on Azure is more interesting challenge, because HANA won’t run on any old VM, but shows how mature Infrastructure as a Service is becoming.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No clue

Microsoft + SAP = Cheapest and most effective way to run it.

2. Getriebe

Dynamics scalable

mmm our testing shows not so much. But I keep an open mind.

To use Azure to max benefit you need async top to bottom of your software design and statelessness at each boundary between scale out 'layers'

Then Azure's tech and payment structures really run well.

The difficulty as far as I can see is how companies with so much invested in many 1000s of person years of programing are going to re-engineer for the Azure (or any other VM role based) structure.

This SAP movement will be interesting to watch, and check if they change the structures

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dynamics scalable

"mmm our testing shows not so much. But I keep an open mind."

Concurrent Users 150,000

Total Record Count 1.26 billion

Average Page Response 0.44 seconds

Web Requests 6.47 million/hour

Business Transactions 1.0 million/hour

Average Microsoft SQL Server Utilization 23.8 percent

Average Microsoft CRM Server 2013 Utilization 58.4 percent

See http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=42037

3. Getriebe

Interesting figures

These appear much much better than our tests - for competitive purposes.

I shall have the testing staff flogged and sold into slavery forthwith

Normally I would want to know how much got posted per screen - along the idea of how many order lines per order (I know its not an SOP system) but the data shifting there is good whatever.

Of course we can't believe any of this - its on Microsoft Azure and its Microsoft software and thus just can't work.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like