back to article 'Microsoft Research slides' show touch-enabled Office - report

Leaked screenshots have been posted online purportedly showing the UI for Office Touch for Windows 8. The slides are part of a presentation posted by Microsoft Research that is now no longer available. Versions of slides were still on mirror sites at time of writing. The presentation was caught by Winsupersite’s Paul Thurrott …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Win win!

The ribbon + touch screen = MEGA PRODUCTIVITY!!!

2. Dave 52

Big gamble

Digital pen technology for a touch tablet is far from mature. The user experience will be frustrating no matter how optimized the software is, since the hardware is flaky and noticeably less accurate than pen and paper.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Big gamble

"since the hardware is flaky and noticeably less accurate than pen and paper" Obviously coming from someone who has never used a wacom stylus and I've never got paper to zoom in for extra resolution, it seems to be stuck at one resolution.

I can't believe that MS think they have come up with something new or innovative. I guess we'll not be able to use the noun Ink any longer as it will be corporate property like most usefull english words seem to be.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Big gamble

The stylus / digitiser works just fine on my Dell Venue 8 Pro. And is very accurate.

3. psychonaut

and also

it will be on a tiny screen. good luck with excel

1. TheVogon

Re: and also

"it will be on a tiny screen. good luck with excel"

It will support pinch to zoom, etc.

2. Getriebe

Re: and also

I use Excel on my WinP quite successfully

I create spreadsheets on the PC, save them to OneDrive and then in meeting display them on the screen through PhotoBeamer. Instant corrections and changes

All works rather well.

Its all about using the appropriate tool at the appropriate time.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

> The presentation is titled: “Ink: a UX proposal for Pen and Ink for Office Gemini".

Should be: "Ink: a UX proposal that Pen & Inks for Office Gemini"

The old ones are the best

5. John Sanders
    Boffin

Sorry to ruin the party

But I find that when one tries to work with touchy things, you end having your hands blocking your view all the time.

I think MS will invest millions and millions of dollars of research into developing something that very few people will end using.

Unless they force it like the ribbon.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Sorry to ruin the party

>>I find that when one tries to work with touchy things, you end having your hands blocking your view all the time.

Hmm. Mechanics and surgeons seem to manage OK. Maybe you're holding it wrong ;)

1. Richard Plinston

> Hmm. Mechanics and surgeons seem to manage OK.

Mechanics and Surgeons don't operate with their fingers, they use tools such as spanners, screwdrivers and scalpels which keep their hands away from the point of operation and leaving a clear view.

2. John Sanders
        Facepalm

I do not know what to think about your comment.

I think that either you have never had to do any manual job, or that you have never used a computer.

Probably both.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There is a really really simple solution to the "fingers getting in the way" problem. I'm not being sarcastic there. It's one thing I hate with touch, but a mouse pointer does not obscure the screen overly so.

I'll not mention the solution, as it's trivially easy. I'm just gob-smacked no one has implemented it yet. Perhaps they fear a submarine patent?

1. John Sanders
        Holmes

Yup!

The solution is called Mouse and Keyboard, and a front facing big screen, or a laptop if the workstation is not at hand.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ah, I do love a mouse and keyboard. But it's not a solution for mobiles (even I can't use them on my chest while walking... though I'm tempted to try). :D

As said, the solution to fingers getting in the way of typing/pointing on a touch screen is very easy to solve. I think I have seen it implemented in one instance, using existing tech. That is, they could roll out an update to all mobile OSs tomorrow with no hardware changes and it would work... Why they don't is beyond me.

They instead add air gestures or similarly problematic, not quite touching but detecting, touch hardware. :(

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Office Is Best Viewed

On an imax cinema screen

7. Arctic fox
    WTF?

What part of the fact that this is medium to long term research did some of our posters......

......fail to understand? No, it is clearly not yet ready for showtime - this is Redmond's research division* FCOL!

*As explicitly pointed out in the article.

1. Charles Manning

Re: What part of the fact that this is medium to long term research did some of our posters......

Amazing what qualifies as "research" these days...

8. Steven Raith

I'm guessing whomever came up with this....

..you know, an interface that takes your hands away from they keyboard, in a clearly keyboard driven application, is the same festering tagnut who deigned it suitable to remove the search functionality from the latest update to Remote Desktop Client for Mac, and not provide any suitable 'sort' or arrangement functionality beyond clicking and dragging, so the dozens of RDP connections I have are now just a random list, with no ability to find a single fucking thing.

Seriously, I'm not even exaggerating for effect - the only way that I can find to use RDP for Mac now is to find one RDP out of potentially dozens, and click and drag it to the top - or somewhere. And it dumps any new connections you make at the very bottom.

I swear sometimes (or often) Microsoft really do just come up with shit like this to fuck with our heads for their own amusement, the shit-eating thunder-twunts that they are.

(sorry for the excessive swearyness, mods, but I can't tell you the number of times over the last few days this has had me putting my head in my hands as I try to find one RDP connection out of 50-odd to get access to a server, doubting myself as to whether I'd created one, etc...)

Steven "fuck this shit" Raith.

1. Gray
      Facepalm

Re: I'm guessing whomever came up with this....

I'm convinced it's a matter of arrogance ... pure, unrestrained arrogance, if not thinly veiled contempt for the user. I first experienced this years ago with programmers who could not be bothered to a) step back and fix bugs, rather than charge ahead with yet-another "cool feature" and b) pressing ahead with change for the sake of change, because of a general "if it works, it's boring!" attitude. That, coupled with an impatient disregard for documenting their product, made the user experience more frustrating than productive.

Corporate interests are better served by all of the above (bug hunting is costly, documentation is an expensive, shifting target, and change for change sake keeps sales churning. Besides all that, mega-corp is a monopoly and the customer is locked in ... so who should give a flying freck about user concerns?

1. John H Woods Silver badge

I agree. However, although I'm more a sort of open source guy than corporate by choice (though I have to be the opposite professionally) I feel compelled to point out that change-for-changes-sake is not purely corporate, otherwise we wouldn't have had the Gnome / Unity fiasco.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"a clearly keyboard driven application"

Office has supported voice recognition since Office 2003....

1. Steven Raith

Re: I'm guessing whomever came up with this....@AC

That's one hell of a niche usage case you have there. Also, voice input/recog is a different scenario to touch and often diametrically oppposed to it as there are only a few cases for using it.

if you're using voice input and recognition to control office, you're probably doing so because you don't have hands or eyes that are capable of dealing with a keyboard or a touchscreen, depending on their disability (which means a touchscreen would be worse in most cases). I know people who have this problem; they don't use tablets or touchscreens for a reason, and it's not personal taste - they are physically incapable of it for various reasons.

Or you might be using it as a novelty, in which case it'll wear off quick when you realise keyboard and mouse is faster, and saves you moving your hands away from the core input methods. As a touchscreen does.

Or you're just Doing It Wrong. There might be other reasons, but I can't see 'em.

If that's the best you can come up with against my post, then you have absolutely nothing.

Steven R

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Upvoted for "shit-eating thunder-twunts".

4. El Andy

@Steven Raith: Office has supported Ink and touch input for years, but this is about making it work better. If you actually watch the presentation it is very explicitly NOT about replacing the keyboard and mouse, but augmenting them in scenarios where it is suitable to do so.

1. Steven Raith

Ah, the slideshow on the mirror loaded for me this time (I thought it had been taken down after getting no loading when I tried it initially - might just have been my internet being spotty), and you're not wrong - that looks like a good improvement on the current Windows touch language.

It's still highly dependant on usage cases though - I can think of nothing more annoying than trying to sketch on a laptop/desktop screen, and so far Windows tablets have minimal traction in the marketplace because, quite frankly, they aren't up to snuff at this stage; from my experience of them they are still overpriced, overhot, overweight, with poor UX on the touch side once you fall out of Metroland (which works pretty well in a touch scenario, doubters be damned) - the thing is that you don't want to use them as a tablet if you see what I mean. They are closer to ultrabooks without keyboards.

So I'll grant you, the main thrust of my ANGRY ANGRY was misdirected.

I still enjoyed having a rant though. ;-)

Upvote for steering me back to retrying, and edifying me, good sir. Which was far, far more constructive and instructive than ACs rahter attempt at point scoring (and my ranting)

Steven R

9. SVV

Having spent an irritating half hour writing an email on my tablet this morning.....

.... there is only one conclusion possible :

Tablets are great for content consumption.

They suck for content production.

10. Zane

And so?

"the division works on long-term ideas that take a while to feed into products"

good to see that El Reg knows quite something about MS Research 8^)

Wonder if anyone has a number how much of the MS Research ideas ever made it into a product.

Should be a small number.

Research labs are not about driving product innovation - they're here to file patents.

/Zane

11. Miss Config
    Joke

Touch Office ? ==> Touch OS ?

If you have to touch the Office windows, that suggests, surely, that the OS must ALSO be touchy, shirley ?

Now THERE'S a gap in the market that Microsoft could try to plug !!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like