back to article Amazon's cloud reign may soon come to an end, says Gartner

The worshipers of Gartner's famed Magic Quadrant have shuffled forth from their back-office tomb clutching jeweled calculators and have proclaimed Amazon the One True Cloud, although they added that it now faces strong competition. The workers of the analyst firm announced Amazon's dominance in a new "Magic Quadrant for Cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don Jefe

This Just In

Gartner predicts the four major global providers of a service will continue to provide that service and some of the dots on the square will move as a result. It's a damn shame I never had such analytical prowess at my disposal when I OK'd the marketing spend for taking the twits from Gartner out to lunch and providing them with 'analysis from inside the industry'.

There are only two sorts of people who take this shit seriously. One sort is the unimaginative, risk averse idiot that's waiting on someone (it could be you) to take his job and do something useful with the role. The second sort are managers who really know their industry and are trying to identify the unimaginative, risk averse sorts who need a different job.

1. Salts

Re: This Just In

Gartner, talking shit since 1979, F&%* me it is beyond belief(I mean this, no sarcasm) they are still in existence, just goes to show people buy shit.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: This Just In

The only interesting thing with gartner "reports" is guessing who paid for the report. Sometimes even this isn't very interesting as it's too obvious.

Gartner: Telling you want you want to hear since 1979.

or more accurately:

Gartner: Telling your prospective customers what you want them to hear since 1979

1. theblackhand

Re: This Just In Re:Nick Ryan

Isn't it obvious who paid for the Gartner report based on the winners?

I like when Garter split a market into pieces when different customers are paying :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you actually read the report, Google are an also-ran. Microsoft are far ahead in the #2 spot.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benkepes/2014/05/28/new-gartner-magic-quadrant-out-it-may-not-be-a-zero-sum-game-but-amazon-web-services-is-as-close-as-it-gets/

"After a few false starts the Azure platform is a ways back from AWS< but far in front of all other players."

and enterprises are migrating stuff to Azure in large numbers. But no one wants to use Google:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/17/google-cloud-keeps-getting-new-features-but-new-customers-are-harder-to-come-by/

1. Julian Smart

a ways

"is a ways back". Wow. How did such illiteracy become acceptable?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: a ways

Welcome to the world of global English, Julian. It's an accepted expression in large tracts of the USA - mainly, I think, the South.

American English is sweeping the world. How often, for example, do you hear customers in a cafe asking, "Can I get a <insert complex drink of your choice>?"? Whereas I was taught to ask, "May I have a <whatever>?"

1. Julian Smart

Re: a ways

Indeed, I have to admit I cringe when I hear people saying "Can I get". I did catch myself appending "if you please" to a request for water in Costa the other day, and that's probably going too far...

3. bigtimehustler

What utter nonsense, AWS still offers far more features in each product and far more products. Sure you can migrate if you don't need any of those features, but why would you? Price isn't the driving factor as they are all too similar and in huge competition on that front. The only choice is down to reliability and product selection, you might not use the products now, but hell i might want to in the future so better to be in the most feature laden walled garden.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like