back to article Ericsson: There'll be over 9 BILLION mobe subscribers by 2019

Smartphones accounted for 65 per cent of the phones which sold in 2014 so far, and by 2016 the number of smartphones in use will overtake the number of basic feature phones. Of the 6.8 billion mobile phone connections in the world, 2.6 billion are mobile broadband. These stats come from the 6th Ericsson Mobility report. Every …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nmc00001

9 Billion

I'm guessing that they include tablets in this figure, they should really only include mobile phones.

My tablet is a 'primary' internet device, like a laptop.

1. Simon Rockman

Re: 9 Billion

That's 9 billion connections. Phones, Tablets, vending machines, parking meters, sat navs, smug electronic doors.

2. Zane

Re: 9 Billion

The talk about "subscribers". So it's the number of subscriptions, not the number of users. Does not say anything about the terminal.

So basically it's the number of SIM cards. And for the backbone, it doesn't matter if you use a mobile or a tablet. They make profit on your usage in both cases.

/Zane

2. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Double duty

When I go to meetings anymore, I'm one of the few people who only has one cell phone sitting on the table. Mine sits there quietly as I switch it to no sound or vibration and send everyone to voicemail. Some colleagues, however, sit and fiddle with both phones throughout the meetings. The iPhone users are the most likely to have two and to be constantly playing with them.

Strange world. I read a book by PJ O'Rourke some years ago in which he described Hong Kong as the busiest city in the world, with nearly every citizen seeming to own two or more businesses and seeming to talk into two cell phones at the same time, one in each ear. America's got that beat now - our folks can Tweet and Facebook on two phones at the same time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Double duty

Where do you live/work? I'm in the US as well and I hardly ever see people with two cell phones. 5-10 years ago it was not uncommon, but now these days employers rarely provide employees a phone since everyone has their own.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Double duty

"these days employers rarely provide employees a phone since everyone has their own"

Why do employees countenance using their personal device for work stuff? Done properly you've got all the corporate security and policy restrictions, and there's no way I'm letting my employers decide what I load on my phone. Alternatively you've got the problem that employees phones are not restricted by corporate IT policy, and the business is allowing all email traffic to be exposed to whatever malware the most cretinous user has loaded on their phone.

For SMEs, one man bands and business owners I see few problems, in the corporate world or data security paranoia I can't see why either side would want BYOD?

3. Mark 85

Downside comment and an question.

If and when that big solar flare that's been bantered about and shows up in the scary news of the future columns finally hits, all those devices will become just so many paperweights.

Ok.. a serious question.. why would anyone need two smartphones? In the past, many companies issued phones to key personnel but evolved to letting them use their personal phone with some restitution. So is it the self-importance factor? The more phones you have, the more important you are?

4. Eddy Ito

In other news

There are more nuts than humans.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Mobile phonies

I find it fascinating to watch people play with their mobile phones in office and in meetings - keeps them awake I suppose.

Given that I have a land line at work & at home I find the best way to use a mobile phone is to have it switched off most of the time - that way I dont get bothered nor bother others unless it is important. It has uses - just I want to select the when. So, I suppose the only reason to really need one is when the landline infra-structure is bad or absent so what a surprise millions in the less devloped areas are buying lots of phone.But 9 billion,isnt the world pop just shy of 7 billion? Oh, non-unique subscribers!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like