back to article Supermodel Lily Cole: 'I got a little bit upset by that Register article'

Millionaire supermodel Lily Cole has told a national newspaper how upset she was by The Register's coverage of her taxpayer-funded wishing well, Impossible.com. Youtube video of Cole talking about impossible.com Using Freedom of Information laws, we attempted to discover how the wealthy socialite and globetrotter was awarded …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Frankee Llonnygog

I got a little bit upset by that Register article

I expect the comments this time around will improve on that

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: I got a little bit upset by that Register article

Well I'm not ashamed to say I winced. Not exactly a fair fight this, no matter how bad the site is. I see the griefers love it tho.

Pumping shells into a Government moneyflusher's PR shields? Yeah, sure, pass the popcorn, you go AO! A second armor-piercing shell thru a girl's delirium dream just because she had the temerity to be hurt by the first? I'll pass, El Reg. Bit too much like sniping civilians with a high power rifle. Not nice :(

1. Oninoshiko

Oh poor her... I'll take all the sniping elReg can toss as me with a laugh to scam the public dole like this.

2. skeptical i

Might be more inclined to agree with you, Daggerchild, if she weren't getting wodges of tax money for the project. How do I get over a quarter-million to faff around promoting a "stuff wanted" site?

(Need a crocodile tears/ boo-freaking-hoo icon.)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Daggerchild - if the government wants to piss away £ 200k of our hard-earn taxes then I'd prefer they did that to worthwhile causes than mere hopeless 'wish' matching window dressing for rich kids.

Rather than let these people get away with it using all their 'chums' to support them using our cash I'd prefer the money was given to something more useful.

Keep sniping El Reg, you're aiming at the right targets.

2. Mpeler
      Paris Hilton

Unicorn-cat....hmmmmm

How 'bout a Unicorn-dog....

corndog...

yum....

THAT would be a good use of money....

Paris, because she knows how to use money too......

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And now they're encouraging flyposting.

They're suggesting at http://www.impossible.com/toolkit that you go round spamming your neighbourhood with their crappy publicity flyers. Twunts.

1. davemcwish

Re: And now they're encouraging flyposting.

and in airplane toilets apparently.

Looking this morning there seems to be some trolling going on

"I wish someone would pull the plug on this site, shut it down so it stops wasting taxpayers money. #somethingelse"

and the greedy

"I wish a #Canon EOS 5D Mark III, a Canon 17-40mm and a MacBook Pro 13" 2,4 GHz. #secondhand #thank_you"

3. ukgnome
    Trollface

Nope, Sorry!

Never heard of her, even after a google I am none the wiser.

Maybe she could use hard earned tax payers money to raise her profile.

1. Zane

Re: Nope, Sorry!

C'mon.

My Google know her well 8^)

I think she was good in "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus".

There are some really nice pictures of her on the net.

She proves that Brit girls are attractive.

You should be proud.

/Zane

1. davidp231

See also: St Trinians. Can't remember if it's the first or second one mind.

1. big_D Silver badge

St Trinians? Ah, the memories, you can't beat a good Alistair Sim's film.

Even after seeing her picture, I'm none the wiser, can't say I've ever seen her on TV or in a film etc. and I don't read fashion magazines.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

School For Scoundrels is one of my faves, though as much for the inimitable Terry Thomas as anything else!

2. NogginTheNog
          Flame

How DARE you mention those remade abominations! That's like spitting on the graves of Alistair Sims, George Cole, and Joyce Grenfell!

2. James O'Shea

"She proves that Brit girls are attractive."

<looks around to be sure that SWMBO isn't in sight>

you mean that all Brit girls don't look like Maggie Thatcher?

<inbound handbag at two o'clock high! take evasive action!>

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"She proves that Brit girls are attractive."

Do you mean she proves it by contrast?

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Nope, Sorry!

Gentlemen, please avoid being mean. We're more interested in Lily scooping up thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money she doesn't need for a project that benefits nobody.

1. Gazareth

It appears to have benefited Freud Public Relations.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
              Coat

"Freud Public Relations"

Is it me or does anyone else read that as 'Fraud' Public Relations?

Perhaps it's just me, a Freudian slip, if you will.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I think you meant Freudian Slut. ;-)

There FTFY.

2. Daggerchild Silver badge

I thought the *actual* problem was the Government twunt who *gave* her the money. *Everyone* asks for it. It's all gone a bit girl-XBox-player in here.

Besides, receiving Government funds for an overblown project that drains cash and eventually delivers something horrible *is* how most large employers of IT professionals operate, after all, so not sure how many of the Reg crowd are without sin here ;-)

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge

"Never heard of her, even after a google I am none the wiser."

Ginger bird in the movie "Saint Trinnians."

1. ukgnome

@ John Smith 19

Oh......nope, still nothing.

3. d3vy

She was in Dr Who too...

4. jason 7
    Meh

Never...

...heard of her!

Is she important to humanity?

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Never...

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

If you haven't seen it, you should (not specifically becaus e of her, mostly because of the brilliant male trio playing the male character). All her other "contributions to humanity" can be safely ognored.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Her Art Matters series on Sky Arts was (IMO) rather good. Absolutely not just a pretty face. I feel quite upset that Reg + 'tards are sinking collective teeth into her. Not saying you're wrong so to do, just saying I'm upset.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge
        Boffin

@ ElRegUser007 : You're still using an old version of humanity. You need to upgrade to the latest internet-enabled version where they fixed various bugs like empathy, tolerance and regret. You'll see a remarkable drop in caring! This will free up resources for new features like griefing and trolling. They significantly improve the taste of tears!

There's an outstanding bug in 'survival of the species' now but we don't think it affects any current users. It's a long time since anyone's tested that feature so it may be removed in future releases.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I agree that the ad hominem attacks are off the mark and detract from the issue: what is NESTA supposed to be doing? and who's overseeing it?

3. Isendel Steel
        Meh

Sorry, she may have some smarts - but from the image on the article not that much of a pretty face.

Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and ultimately subjective.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Although beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, and ultimately subjective.

TIFIFY O:)

4. The Axe

"Her" Art Matters series? So she produced it, directed it, scripted it. No, she is the pretty face fronting it. She might like art which is good for a presenter to be interested in the subject they present (like Attenborough), but she hasn't scripted it, or directed it, or produced it - so it's not her.

1. NogginTheNog
          Thumb Down

she hasn't scripted it, or directed it, or produced it - so it's not her.

That's rather like saying actors aren't themselves as they're only reading someone else's script, and following someone else's direction?

3. Peter2 Silver badge

Obviously not. Then again, presumably being a celebrity she will likely be famous for "being famous" and given we don't receive, read or even pay any attention to that sort of media then we wouldn't care, would we?

People visiting a tech site are likely to have zero interest in her, until or unless she accomplishes something as we define the term, which is quite likely to relate to accomplishment of something in Science, Technology, or (applied) Math.

1. 's water music

People visiting a tech site are likely to have zero interest in her, until or unless she accomplishes something as we define the term, which is quite likely to relate to accomplishment of something in Science, Technology, or (applied) Math.

Whilst I am sure that a lot of us do have a *boner for STEM it seems a little reductive to dismiss all other areas of human endeavour and achievement.

*used advisedly

4. dan1980

@Jason 7

"Is she important to humanity?"

Are you?

1. Darryl

Re: "Is she important to humanity?" "Are you?"

Possibly, possibly not, but I'll bet Jason isn't using his celebrity status to scam your government out of your tax dollars.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "Is she important to humanity?" "Are you?"

I will thank you to remember that they are tax pounds. :P

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is she important to humanity?

BPM

5. Pete 2 Silver badge

Units?

> Success can only be measured in time

Now that's impossible! (dot com)

I wonder how much success she's had with this venture our money? Would it be a couple of months, or a millisecond?

Although investing her own money is a bit of a win-win since any losses just reduce the amount of tax she (or more likely: some company that her accountant has magicked into existence as a container for this venture) has to pay, whereas any profit would go directly back to her.

1. SoaG

Re: Units?

I think the stretch target is 15 minutes.

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: Units?

Obvious choice of unit should be the Warhol then.

6. Simon Harris
    WTF?

You can actually see for yourself, here.

Bleahh!

I wish they'd put some pop-up tool-tips on those cryptic icons underneath each wish. They think I'm going to click on something if I don't know what it does?

1. Friendly Neighbourhood Coder Dan

Re: You can actually see for yourself, here.

Maybe they count on blind people to click on them?

I couldn't find any ALT text for the images to save my life. Those who can't quite understand what's going on will probably click a bit all over just to see ( hear? ) what happens...

However, they do efforts to make it as inclusive as possible in different areas:

<!--[if lt IE 7 ]> <html class="ie6"> <![endif]-->

Just in case.

Hopefully the WAP version will be ready soon!

7. BoldMan

Awww Diddums(tm)

8. Eradicate all BB entrants

And every time El Reg ....

...... covers it the visits increase by 1000%. I had a look last time it was covered, its a website full of crap that seems to be ripped from a lovesick teenagers bad poetry or people asking for free pretty glittery covers for their iPad.

9. Nifty Silver badge

If I vote UKIP will that fix it?

1. SoaG

It certainly won't make it worse.

1. lurker

Never underestimate the ability of politicians - of any flavour - to make it worse, whatever 'it' happens to be.

10. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Thumb Up

El Reg

See icon.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.