back to article Infosec bods try Big Data in search for better anti-virus mousetrap

Infosec house Panda Security is looking to Big Data and application monitoring as a means to achieve better malware detection. The launch of Panda Advanced Protection Service (PAPS) is a response to the widely known shortcomings of signature-based anti-virus detection as well as a means for Panda to sell extra services. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 38

Wonderful, I love paps.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anti-Virus is not "dead", profits are flat

The real problem is that there is nothing to "sell" customers (especially big ones) anymore.

Everybody sells a product that does essentially the same things. Realistically, you need A/V,& anti malware & rootkit detection & heuristics. Some combination of "All of the Above" is a minimum.

Cloud based detection is a supposed selling feature except I can see where that server gets compromised and add's just another point of failure. How about protection when the Internet is down?

I want a product that works when I'm NOT online.

1. Rol

Re: Anti-Virus is not "dead", profits are flat

You'll be wanting two operating systems then.

One to go online with and one to work offline with.

I do that now.

The online OS is a Linux distro and the offline one is win 7.

and they both get wiped and restored to squeaky clean every now and again with a ghost restore.

Not 100% infallibility, but in this day and age I'd settle for better than a toss of the dice, which seems to be the norm in security.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like