back to article Google mulls submarine cable investment

Google is mulling over splashing some of its cash on a new, multimillion-dollar undersea cable for its private network. The ad giant is considering laying the new cable under the Pacific Ocean to link its data centres in Oregon and Japan, familiar people whispered to the Wall Street Journal. By investing in the cable itself, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

How much of this is for Google to guarantee bandwidth, and how much to make it harder for the spooks to intercept the data?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Harder?

A big fat pipe carrying all the traffic of the biggest data whore in the world? Talk about a gift horse.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

The only defence against the spooks is encryption; if they can get physical access to the cable (and they're happy to spend a lot of taxpayers' money to do so) then they can tee into it and get as much data as they can store (again, paid for by taxpayers).

1. brooxta

bandwidth not privacy

The USS Jimmy Carter et al can grant the NSA physical access to the raw feed pretty quickly.

Google are likely in this only for the bandwidth. Security/privacy will have to depend on encryption (as A Blowhard stated above).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google mulls splashing MEEELLIONS on laying fat pipe in watery depths

Undersea cable to embiggen bandwidth for private data stash

"Google" and "Privacy". I call Oxymoron!!!

1. RyokuMas
      Coat

Their private data, not ours.

Oh wait - our private data is their private data!

... I'll get me coat.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was invited to a lunch a few years ago and an exec from what was Cable & Wireless was there, he told a fantastic story:

They had been called by Google and asked about getting fibre connectivity in the Caribbean (where C&W had a virtual monopoly on fibre), they said "sure, what would you like?", they said how much they wanted and the sales guy had to stifle his laughter, they had asked for about as much capacity than was available for the entire region. I gather the discussions required some further education and understanding.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

So then Google writes a bigger cheque and gets C&W to lay more fibre. Simples. That's sort of what the Google does.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like