back to article Microsoft brings own security info exchange to the world

Microsoft has announced a “a security and threat information exchange platform for analysts and researchers working in cybersecurity.” Dubbed “Interflow”, Redmond says the new service is “a distributed system where users decide what communities to form, what data feeds to bring to their communities, and with whom to share data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hypernovasoftware

You can't use Microsoft and security in the same sentence unless you put "lack of" before security or "after-thought" at the end.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed!

Why is it that when we see the word "exploit" or the phrase "security problems/issues", the article is always about Microsoft?

People need to give themselves a shake and stop using MS products!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

Re: Agreed!

Like heartbleed

or these?

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-33/product_id-47/cvssscoremin-9/cvssscoremax-/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html

Now get your head out your ass and grow up...

2. dogged

Wow, a visitor from 1998!

Here's £50. Buy me some Apple shares and I'll give you 10% when you arrive in 2014 for the second time.

3. Crazy Operations Guy

The truth is that every piece of code can have exploitable holes. It is foolish to think that just because someone did (Or didn't) write a piece of code, that its secure. All programmers are humans and humans make mistakes; this includes every from the barely competent programmer at a cut-rate body shop in China, to a highly-paid programmer in a software company's shiny office, to Linus or ken themselves; they all make mistakes and they're be security holes (While some people have much lower rates, it'll still be greater than zero)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why do I bother?

Don't make me put it in sarcasm tags, you're supposed to work it out!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this not a bit like reinventing the wheel

The Information Security Stack Exchange (http://security.stackexchange.com) already has 40,000 users, with some very well respected experts involved.From the stats page it gets 33,000 visits a day.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Is this not a bit like reinventing the wheel

The problem is that the whois information for security.stackexchange.com doesn't show as "Domain Admin, 1 Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA..."

3. Jasey
    Windows

they're getting better

Microsoft has taken security seriously for a number of years now, really beginning with Windows Vista (as awful as it was).

They are still not as good at it as they should be, but I'm optimistic about their future especially once Balmer is history.

The truth is, many corporations rely on Microsoft products from the data center to edge to the desktop. Anything that Microsoft can release to make sharing security information among other applications is great. The fact that they are using industry standards like STIX, TAXII, and CybOX is just a bonus. For once they are not reinventing the wheel. Of course it remains to be seen how they implement it, but it bodes well for interoperability.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like