back to article Microsoft is still touting Android smartphones – meet the new Nokia X2

Microsoft has revealed the Nokia X2: a dual-SIM version of the Android-powered Nokia X. The Nokia phone for people who want Android Not a Windows Phone ... the new Nokia X2 It runs Jellybean – Android version 4.3 – behind a Windows Phone 8-ish façade. It’s aimed at emerging markets, which prize dual-SIM handsets as price- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Khaptain Silver badge

Target Market ?

>It's not planned for a UK launch but then neither was the X

Which market is it coming out it in ? For 100$ I would be happy to buy one.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Target Market ?

It sounds pretty good in many ways, I can think of a few friends who would pay for this!

I would as well, if I didn't have a fairly new Moto-G to fondle for a while.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Which market is it coming out it in

The 'next billion" those lesser developed regions with more primitive telecommunications infrastructure and less access to modern fibre optic telecommunications.

So pretty much anywhere more than 1/2 mi from a BT exchange

1. plrndl
        Linux

I'm sure the good folks at Cyanogenmod will have a version of kit kat running on this soon.

3. jonathanb Silver badge

India and Pakistan are two of the launch markets.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So they have EMBRACED Android.

From the screenshots it seems they have EXTENDed Android.

We all know what comes next.

MS - never to be trusted.

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

A Microsoft branded Android App Store?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lower spec than even the iPhone !

yet Opera is a big plus. No one really needs all those useful Chrome extras, and I am sure it is a simple wheeze to remedy that.

Roll on forwards MS.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silly questions...

1- Can those be rooted like other Android phones and have the MS/Nokia Android version replaced by a stock Android?

2- Is Microsoft using their own Play store or can one use the standard Google Play store? Don't like to be tied to MS version of the world, you see.

3- Where this leaves the patent revenue that Microsoft is getting from Android phone manufacturers? Or is Nokia mobile now legally owned by Microsoft? Where this revenue will be booked? Will some Microsoft division batlle with another over the use of their patents on Android?

5. Snipp

It looks almost exactly like the Lumia 635.

6. Robert E A Harvey

Why?

Why are all multi-sim phones low spec?

1. Raphael

Re: Why?

because the manufacturers perceive those who would want the dual sims to be poorer folk. The presume that anyone else would obviously buy two phones.

Which I know is daft, but that would appear to be their thinking.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Performance?

Knowing that the X is an absolute dog, with terrible lag, how is the X2? One would expect that the extra memory and slightly faster CPU would help.

How does it compare, for example, to Sony's last year Xperia M dual, which has nearly similar (a bit superior, but not much) specs, and a cleaner, lighter android with the full app store?

8. MacroRodent

Microsoft the Linux vendor

Remember the time when Microsoft used to call open source a cancer?

Now they are shipping a product with Linux inside...

9. James 51

Bing maps or Here maps?

there's a big difference.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: Bing maps or Here maps?

According to the Windows Weekly podcast, it's Here maps

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bing maps or Here maps?

Oh, then perhaps only a matter of time before Nokia gets paid versions of Here services into the Play Store?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like