back to article Seagate's LSI flash biz buyout: Good potential, but only if followed up

Will Seagate's buyout of LSI's old flash card business, which it snapped up from Avago and Xyratex, flourish or wither away inside the Californian conglomerate? Upfront, these are smart buys by Seagate, extending its target markets. Xyratex ClusterStor arrays can use its 6TB drives and their follow-on products, and the HDD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. disk iops

naive author

apparently doesn't know that every Netapp FAS, IBM DS, EMC SAN head, DataDirect enclosures (and many others) all come from Xyratex? Seagate's drives face an uphill battle simply because their product has a seriously bad reliability history. Sure the 10k/15k SAS line hasn't been bad but NOBODY will touch a Seagate SATA drive even if was made in Taiwan instead the utter, unmitigated shite that their Chinese facilities produce.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: naive author

Yes, Xyratex supplies many of the storage enclosures and a few other components to array manufacturers; however, I believe the NetApp FAS is transitioning or has transitioned to the LSI (formerly known as Engenio and Symbios Logic) since NetApp acquired that bit of the company a couple of years ago. That was responsible for a big fall in Xyratex's revenue and the reason they had to find a buyer which turned out to be Seagate.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hi Chris,

great article. Just one thing to add here.

Seagate will use EVault's channel to get into "new" markets, since that's what EVault has been all about over the past couple of years -> expanding the channel.

I know it's a software sales company, however strongly affected with storage systems in general.

There's still a challenge ahead to make sure sales understands hardware selling, but I'm betting on Seagate for the upcoming years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like