back to article Listen bud – crud FUD flood is dud, says Dell: 'We do support VSAN'

We've been in receipt of allegations that Dell is not committed to VSAN, which Dell roundly and strongly denies, saying it's competitor FUD. The allegations included such things as: Dell is shipping ancient LSI firmware that has a queue depth of 25 instead of 600. Performance is poor with a 30ms latency before you hit 400 ( …

1. JohnMartin

I'm sure the boys at Nutanix will be thrilled.

-Disclosure NetApp Employee, Opinions (especially here) are my own.-

I'm sure that Dell invest heavily in producing quality products and having great VMware integration, I know people who LOVE Dell for their Vmware environments for good reasons. The nerfed queue-depths on their LSI controllers that caused a somewhat public outage on VSAN was hardly a lack of commitment on Dell's part, (I suspect it was as a way of segmenting the performance of their storage soltutions well before VSAN came about), if anything I think VMware could have made more of a point that even when everything is software defined it turns out hardware design is still important (who knew ?? except perhaps all the storage hardware vendors). This has since had a little more attention, but the implicit suggestion that this is the server vendors responsibility seems a little rough.

Of course while Dell is "committed" to making VSAN work, you kind of have to wonder where their internal loyalties lie when it comes to storage ... with VSAN, Nutanix, Equallogic, Compellent, MS Storage spaces, or Ceph ? The last time someone asked me to make a "commitment" to them, it involved me promising not to make similar or conflicting promises elsewhere, then again, maybe commitment in this respect means something entirely different.

Commitment - "an engagement or obligation that restricts freedom of action"

2. Random Q Hacker

dell perc h310 not fast enough

Vmware says their h310 controller is not fast enough to rebuild and run production workloads at the same time. Doesn't sound like FUD to me.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2081431

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like