back to article Doctor Who season eight scripts leak online

Scripts for the first five episodes of the yet-to-be-screened and highly-anticipated series eight of Doctor Who have been leaked online. The leak is said to have come from BBC Worldwide's new Miami office, which was arranging translation of the new series for non-English speaking markets. The scripts are said to bear a BBC …

Page:

1. Only me!

Wait and see

I for one will just wait to see the thing on TV......what's the point in spoiling it my searching and looking this stuff up?

1. Graham Marsden
      Unhappy

Re: Wait and see

Yeah, the only problem then is avoiding the bloody spoilers from Trailers the BBC broadcast which give away massive hints as to what is going to happen, not to mention pictures of Cybermen stuck on the front of the Radio Times ruining any surprise as to the "big reveal"... :(

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

the only problem then is avoiding the bloody spoilers from Trailers the BBC broadcast

My favourite example of this was from something that ITV used to show at post-pub-o'clock. Sadly that space is now taken up by some sort of tv-roulette-scumbaggery. The show was 'Tour of Dury'.

In this episode someone fragged an officer while he's in the toilet. So whodunnit?

I can still remember sitting down with my revitalising cuppa and snack. They had the bit many US shows have before the theme music. "Next on Tour of Duty", and a soldier is shown being led away in handcuffs by the MPs.

Funnily enough, I guessed whodunnit quite early in the show...

I do hate fuckers with their spoilers though. I don't like the soaps, but my Mum was always annoyed when some arse at the Sun or Mirror decided to stick what was going to happen next on their front page. She didn't even read them, but there's always some other bugger willing to compound the felony by reading it out on the radio.

1. SteveK

"My favourite example of this was from something that ITV used to show at post-pub-o'clock. Sadly that space is now taken up by some sort of tv-roulette-scumbaggery. The show was 'Tour of Dury'."

My example along those lines was the time [BBC|ITV] were showing the lunchtime as-live repeat of the (probably Japanese) F1 that had been on at around 5am, and had the programme announcer start with "And now another chance to see X win the (probably Japanese) grand prix"

Ok, technically it was a repeat and any real enthusiasts would have got up at unsocial-o-clock to watch it live, but nonetheless, anyone who had actually tuned in to watch the as-live showing probably still wouldn't want the end spoiled.

1. Graham Marsden
            Mushroom

@SteveK - Re: Wait and see

Re: The F1 GP - I actually sent a complaint message to BBC on Sunday because I was sitting down to watch the highlights of the British Grand Prix (having avoided any news etc earlier in the day) only to have BBC 3 News *immediately* before it announce the result in a way that was totally impossible to avoid seeing :-(

2. billdehaan

To me, the gold standard for spoilers remains this link: http://preview.tinyurl.com/p32jdkw.

For those unwilling to click the link (sadly, the direct link also spoils it), a hugely popular show was airing its' last several episodes, each of which addressed the final fate of one or more characters. So someone on the east coast saw an episode, promptly wrote up the above review, and posted it to Slashdot. The subject title gave away the major plot point, before the episode had even aired on the west coast, let alone non-American markets. Sort of like having an Citizen Kane review titled "Kane's only love was his sled, Rosebud". Bonus points for the clueless author claiming people who didn't want it spoiled shouldn't read the review.

1. H.Winter
            Unhappy

Re: "Kane's only love was his sled, Rosebud"

Thanks for spoiling it for me.

3. Roj Blake Silver badge
          Coat

"The show was 'Tour of Dury'."

Was that the programme that followed the legendary Blockheads front man around the country?

2. Psyx

People who look up walk-thoughs and cheats the moment they get home with a new computer game will probably want to read them, I guess.

Strange people.

3. Aqua Marina

Erm, they have a time machine, can't they just go back and delete the files before they are discovered?

1. Monkey Cheese Pants
        Pint

BLOODY HELL MAN! Way to post a spoiler!

Theft of a galactic screenplay is the entire premise of this upcoming season and you just gave away the crucial ending. At least you didn't say that the good doctor is caught using his sonic screwdriver to pick a place no sonic screwdriver should go. Ooops. Another spoiler!

2. DropBear
    WTF?

FYI, "breaking them" would be deleting every existing copy of it, mr. Gatiss...

1. sabroni Silver badge

depends

on whether the thing you're making is just a video or if the act of broadcasting it to millions of fans, all who know nothing about the plot, is also part of the experience. I can see how a creator could consider this leak to be breaking something.

3. Elmer Phud

Luvverly

Can't wait to see the traffic on Facebook and Twitter where pointless threats will be whined out in public.

If folks can't hep themselves from moaning like hell and also doing thier best to search out the scripts . . .

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Luvverly

If you search them out, it's your own fault. If your arse of a mate sticks info out there, in a deliberate attempt to be annoying, then they deserve to cop some abuse.

Not that I care, I've not seen it in several years. But whoever released it is a complete tosser.

4. William Towle
    Joke

Confirmed?

https://twitter.com/RyanJohnNelson/status/483630909972033536/photo/1

5. JDX Gold badge

TopGear scripts?

You mean a post-it note with "insult the Welsh" written on it?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I'd like to see the day

when Top Gear confines its insults to the Welsh.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: I'd like to see the day

They are equal opportunity insulters. Which is the best way. As long as you insult everyone, that's not racist, misogynist, ageist, heightist, welshist, fatist etc.

1. Richard Taylor 2

Toryist, Cameroonist?

2. WonkoTheSane

Remember the good old days?

When Top Gear confined its insults to caravanners?

1. Gordon 10
          Holmes

Rose tinted glasses mate - they were always truckdriverist as well.

Make delivery murder prostitute etc etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Remember the good old days?

When Top Gear's Clarkson was entertaining and not just a knob?

Me neither.

6. Andy The Hat Silver badge

"I for one will just wait to see the thing on TV"

I wish I felt the same. There'll be a cyberman (who's come back from the dead), a dalek (who's come back from the dead), the Master who's ... well you get the idea.The characters and sets will all have expensive GGI thrown at them to make it look as if someone has thrown expensive CGI at them and at a guess, it'll all happen in London with some obnoxious female 'cokerney' wimpering incessantly. But at least it'll all turn out nice and cuddly for the Christmas episode to offset the huge depression caused by the nasty death on Eastenders.

Sorry, should I have said "spoiler alert"?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Boffin

"Sorry, should I have said "spoiler alert"?"

No. You should have said "Spoilers sweetie"

2. JDX Gold badge

I (mostly) missed Dr Who the first time round, or was so young I barely remember it. But surely they had the same problems of trying to keep things fresh and find new stories in what was a very long-running series?

Daleks were always popping up in the original, cybermen too, weren't they?

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Not as often as you'd think.

IIRC Tom Baker only went up against the Daleks twice during his 7 year stint.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ironic...

As quite often BBC destroys nice things that other people make with their rabid News reporting bias. Wonder how it feels now the shoe is on the other foot.

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Pathetic

I can never understand the mindset of people who do this sort of thing, and never could. Right back to the days of the schoolkid who used to go round spoiling other people's fun. I guess it's those same kids who never did develop the ability to 'connect' with other people.

Sad.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Pathetic

Unless they're going door to door, searching out dedicated Whovians, and then shouting all the spoilers in their faces, this is utterly harmless. Most likely, it's just generating more buzz around the new series, which the BBC is probably very grateful for.

1. Joseph Haig

Unless they're going door to door, ...

What you don't know is that they have been stolen by Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged who is currently in the process of visiting every person in the universe in alphabetical order and reading them out.

2. Marshalltown
      Pint

I have never understood the concern with spoilers myself. You might know that "this happened" or "that happened," but the show is not about "this" or "that." It is about the process by which the story comes to "this" or "that." Only a complete lack of imagination can explain the thinking that knowing the "end" is equivalent to knowing the story. But then, I'm known to read stories back to front quite often, when the linear approach becomes too boring.

9. Paul Westerman
    Mushroom

It's for kids

Grow up

1. Dave Bell

Re: It's for kids

You might be surprised how complicated some of the "for kids" stuff can be. In a culture where anyone under 18 is classed, in significant ways, as still a child, such sneers are misleading. How much drama even tried to deal with the issues of loss and aging which permeate a Doctor Who story such as "The Girl Who Waited"?

Yet you say it is "just for kids".

1. TRT Silver badge

The OP didn't say "just for kids". Your use of quotation marks was inappropriate as it wasn't a quote. it IS for kids. Kids of all ages.

1. lorisarvendu

"it IS for kids. Kids of all ages."

Hmmm...in which case how exactly DO we grow up?

Poor Paul Westerman. Downvote score heading for the gutter.

1. Paul Westerman
            Happy

lol. It was only a throwaway Pub Landlord reference!

2. TRT Silver badge

"Hmmm...in which case how exactly DO we grow up?"

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.

3. WonkoTheSane
            Headmaster

It is only compulsory to grow old. Growing up is completely optional.

4. DiViDeD

"...how exactly DO we grow up?"

No idea. I've been aiming to grow up for nearly 60 years, and no closer now than when I started.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. I work with grown ups and they seem to be unhappy pretty much most of the time.

10. ukgnome
    Alien

Makes you wonder what other data the BBC accidental give away.

I smell NSA interference, Snowden was right or summink

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The scripts are said to bear a BBC watermark, the name of a staffer*..."

*ex-staffer

1. Dave Bell

There's something odd about the whole story. The staffer whose name is on the scripts which leaked night have been dropped in it by the people on the IT side. This might have been a how a script was passed on to a translator, in the past, without any problems. Why was it different this time?

1. TRT Silver badge

"Why was it different this time?"

Google. They restored some BBC links the other day you know... well, could have been. I've seen less tenuous stuff in Dr Who before now.

2. WonkoTheSane

A staffer no-one seems to have heard of.

The only thing I can think of is that this mystery staffer is/was a BBC America Spanish translator, who needed the scripts to come up with suitable subtitles for the show.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The scripts are said to bear a BBC watermark, the name of a staffer*..."

*ex-staffer

Hmm, that would be scapegoating. The first question I'd ask is how the staffer came up with the idea of using a public server. Don't they have internal resources? Don't they get training?

Most people I deal with are breathtakingly naïve when it comes to the dangers of the Internet, and need training to get at least some idea of how quickly information can wander off. I would assume ignorance over malice, and in that context throwing people onto the street strikes me as too harsh.

12. Dr Who

To use a famous quote from one of Capaldi's other legendary characters :

"If some cu*t can fu*k something up, that cu*t will pick the worst possible time to fu*king fu*k it up cause that cu*t's a cu*t."

1. Aggrajag
      Facepalm

Goodness! - I'm glad I never watched the Three Musketeers :)

2. sabroni Silver badge

This forum isn't for kids.

So you can type cunt or fuck without fear of censorship. Would make the quote much more readable if it just had the swear words in....

1. Fibbles
        Trollface

Re: This forum isn't for kids.

Some of these fucking cunts are reading this god-damn bullshit at work though...

Bollocks.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like