back to article But WE want to rule the Internet of STUFF – Intel, Dell, Samsung & chums

Intel, Dell, Samsung and Broadcom – among others – have founded a yet another group, dubbed the “Open Interconnect Consortium”, to promote standards that help development of the Internet of Things. The new consortium says it “will seek to define a common communication framework based on industry standard technologies to …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

don't forget the silent partners

firstly, the Security Services making sure there are huge gaping back doors through which they can improve their spying on you 24/7.

then there are the malware people. If you think that the STUXNET malware attack was bad, then just think what fun they will have with all sorts of kit around your home all nicely wired up to the internet?

Going 'off grid' seems make more and more sense every day.

1. Denarius
      Black Helicopters

Re: don't forget the silent partners

I was wondering about that. IoT looks like a solution looking for a problem, but when you think it might be something some-one else sees as a problem it becomes reasonable.

1. BillG
        Holmes

"a solution looking for a problem"

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Since every IoT "smartwatch' has failed, maybe they should wait and see exactly which IoT devices people actually want, before deciding exactly how to connect them.

2. All names Taken
    Alien

Too harsh?

Marketing perspective: IoT makes it easy to identify where resources are

Once identified those resources might need to be used, mobilised, managed, contacted, ...

Think of the computational humdrum in your local supermarket alone, then garage (fuel station), power distribution (do we really want to hunt out a treacherous meter and read it rather than wi-fi ping it?), logistics distribution (there are a lot of trucks on the road each of these is an asset containing even more assets, operated by an asset, ... )

The opportunities for an integrated service are huge BUT! it has to be based on principle that customers data is not to be dicked with, treated nicely and alternative software brought in were the company daft enough to consider doing it?

3. TomMariner

Battle of Giants

VHS vs. Betamax redux. Big company clubs trying to grab the patents and market share and set exclusionary standards. All the big "clubs" / consortia will beat each other bloody purposely giving us non-compatible things on the IoT.

The only way is for a single individual or company to wade in with a great idea and capture the market before the lumbering giants can turn those guns around to snuff out that cheeky little newbie.

Sometimes I wish technical media would just shut about about an emerging system and continue the scintillating banter about Windows vs. IOS, MacBook vs. Surface.

You are reading this because a seven layer definition of networking emerged with IP Addresses and TCP/IP let us connect any computer to any computer. Think of the fun if for example ArcNet token passing had instead won.

4. Mikel

Neither

I'll take whatever Google comes up with.

5. Arctic fox
    Happy

Oh dear, oh dear. With Intel in one group and Microsoft in the other.............

...........some of our compadres in our little congregation here at El Reg will not know in which direction to explode.

6. SVV

Great, they are going to fork out money to reinvent web services...

Mature tech (SOAP / REST) that's been a standard for over a decade and proved itself in many applications for "things talking to other things over the net".

Yet another triumph in the brave new world of the Internet Of Things I Won't Be Wasting My Money On Because They Serve No Purpose And Turning On Light Switches Is Not Something I Need To Be Done For Me By A Computer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like