back to article Another Samsung supplier fingered in new 'child labor' probe

Samsung is once again under fire from a watchdog that claims the South Korean leviathan sources components from suppliers that employ child laborers. China Labor Watch (CLW) on Thursday identified a factory called Shinyang Electronics, located in Dongguan, China, that it alleges hires children to work long hours for little pay …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it really the job of the company purchasing something from a manufacturer to police the manufacturing company? I would have thought CLW would do better going to the Chinese authorities concerning labour laws rather than chasing Samsung. Or is CLW another of these organisations that would cease to exist if they didn't have several companies to shake down?

1. Ole Juul

I do think that Samsung has at least some responsibility as a corporate citizen. That said, in this case it really does look like CLW is missing the mark and it would be more effective to focus on those who have direct influence on the labour laws.

2. LarsG

Surprised there has been no vitriolic outbursts on here that usually accompanies this kind of headline when Apple are perceived to be at fault.

Instead we have apologists trying to excuse the actions of the corporation.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yet again, the tune changes when it isn't Apple. You lot are sickening...

2. Mark 85

I suppose that if this were Apple, there would be a hell of lot more screaming and rending of garments over this. Just an observation as I'm not a fanboi nor a sworn enemy.

However, I think this falls under the general heading of "Stuff you're supposed to be aware of..." like Blood Diamonds, etc. I'm not sure how the final customer (Samsung in this case) can be held accountable except by maybe some bad PR. Ultimately, it's the consumer who is responsible as they determine much by their wallet. If this were not the case, China might not have as much manufacturing by contract as they do. It takes cheap labor to produce goods at the low prices people will pay.

1. virhunter

Some casuals seem to have this idea of Apple as being this really ethical company, probably because of their hipster users and the evil image Microsoft has. I have told people about the Foxconn suicides and some actually don't believe it. Samsung to my knowledge has never marketed itself as a company whose devices are made on happy hippie communes where everything runs on envronmentally sustainable solar power and unicorn farts.

3. Peter Simpson 1
    Coat

Chinese government?

Shouldn't the Chinese government be watching out for this kind of thing? Unless, of course, the appropriate "campaign donations" have been made, I guess.

Isn't capitalism wonderful?

// the one with the thick envelope in the pocket

4. Cipher

China Labor Watch (CLW) has previously published an investigative report detailing the labor violations of three factories of Pegatron Group, a major supplier to Apple.

Now Samsung...

What are Apple and Samsung supposed to do about practices inside China? What would CLW have them do? Refuse parts from them? If they did, wouldn't the abusers continue to sell to whatever business replaced Apple and Samsung?

Shouldn't CLW's focus be on the businesses actually doing wrong? Samsung and Apple cannot control what the manufacturers do. CLW should be blaring the abusers names all over the press first,call for their heads to roll...

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

CLW has been raising a stink in China. Heads have been rolling, but corrupt officials are still a fact of life (Look at what happened at Foxconn last year) and it's a problem which needs chipping away at from all sides.

Large buyers have a LOT of clout, simply by threatening to take their business elsewhere.

In all liklihood, given the scenario posted, Samsung audited between the "rushes" and found things were in order, but haven't conducted any random inspections - scheduled ones give the bad guys time to sweep problems under the rug.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like