back to article CEO of Brit biz Phoenix plans to 'ram-raid' old friend, new enemy Cisco

The boss at Brit services provider Phoenix IT Group wants to "ram raid" former vendor partner Cisco. The UK biz is currently bulking out its portfolio, with Chinese networking firm Huawei Enterprise the latest addition. In the autumnal months last year, Cisco wrote to 1,000 firms across EMEA telling them it was withdrawing …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vaughan is one of the few CEO that has taken task to communicate with his staff at all levels and isn't afraid to get his boots wet. His emails come across as informed and actually quite human, if he syas he can bin cisco and use alternative kit to give the same service then I reckon he can.

Obvs anon as I might be reading this on work time.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck to him! I work for a Cisco gold partner and the hoops we have jump through to maintain it sometimes make me wonder if it is worth it.

1. vmcreator

Good point, but Huawei do not have a UCS blade server equivalent.

3. kmac499

Golden Handcuff syndrome

I used to work for a food manufacturer and we took the very deliberate decision not to bid for a Marks and Spencer contract. Our product was first class, but the hassle of compliance and the reputational damage if we lost the job was too risky.

Cisco partners could well end up makig the same choice, if Cisco looses it's "no one ever got fired for ordering ..." default position.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phoenix as an employer

Obviously a few people working for Phoenix will be giving this article a view so I'll take the oppourtunity to ask a question if I may? I was approached by a recruitment consultant on Friday about a role in Birstall but my immediate thoughts were about Register articles about the issues Phoenix has been having. Does it feel like you are working for a company that is growing in confidence and putting it issues behind them, or is there a fair chance I might end up getting made redunant after three months? (as a former collegue did when he joined Phoenix a year ago).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Phoenix as an employer

I started there a couple of months ago so I very much hope not :P

Like most places in this business, some jobs are more secure than others...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I worked for Phoenix for 3 years, I and the rest of the team I was in were treated like crap, not a single pay rise (not even inflationary) for the three years, then we were made redundant. It's a useful port in a storm but not somewhere you go if you want you're career to progress.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like