back to article DRONE WARS: Killers, spies? Nah, they're IDEAL for snapping pics of hot models

Drones have been used for various tasks including killing opponents from afar, spying on enemy combatants or even carrying bomb-disarming kit. But a group of researchers from MIT and Cornell University have dreamed up a much more peaceful role for the snap-happy autonomous robots. Boffins have suggested that drones could …

1. jake Silver badge

This is useful ...

... why, exactly?

2. Chris G

Useless

This article is useless without pics of the aforementioned hot models.

How do we know the system works?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

The pics would be useless too

Who wants to see just the edges of a hot models?

3. codejunky Silver badge

City 17

I wonder if they got the idea after smashing up the drones pursuing the free-man?

4. ukgnome

Hmm can you....

fly them close to a kerb for all those up-skirt shots? - Daily Mail side bar, I am thinking of you.

On a serious note, I like the tech in camera drones, but the invasion of privacy is just a bit creepy. I would much rather that drones just kill and mame, at least you can hate them properly without been tied up in privacy and stuff (OK perhaps not as serious as I had hoped)

1. Simon Harris

Re: Hmm can you....

You'd just end up with a lit-up skirt - the drones carry the lighting, not the camera.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rim lighting?!?

Somehow I came up with an entirely different idea of what that entailed.

Someone pass me the mind bleach, please.

6. Mark 85

Ah.... tax dollars at work. Since ultimately, we taxpayers pay for this crap.. uni buildings, salaries, etc. I wish that these "researchers" from the various unis had to reveal the source of their funding in PR releases, etc. and not just have that buried in bowels of their paper.

7. CatW

Nerd Crap

Once again, like the speaker article last week, there is this total acceptance that throwing programming at something will solve all problems, well:

Modern hifi sounds rubbish - most people with ears buy valve hifi

Modern lenses are flat and dead - everytone uses vintage glass

And in 3D, for example, there is the idea that 'If you want the irredescence of a beetle case, the great thing about M*** is that you can get a programmer to create that' - Oh, I see, so a programmer is superior to lust looking at a beetle casing and making a colour gradient that, though less accurate, will look asthetically right.

And the down draft and noise of these quad chopper 'robots' won't be a problem?

Robot rim lights? Bite my shinny metal arse!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like