back to article Plucky Rockall podule man back on (proper) dry land

Brit adventurer Nick Hancock left the North Atlantic islet of Rockall on Saturday, following a marathon 45 days atop the granite outcrop which saw him claim both the solo and group occupation records. A dramatic photo tweeted by Atlantic Marine Services shows the seaborne recovery operation in progress. Atlantic Marine …

1. Russell Hancock

Hats off and glasses raised to that man

I think this guy deserves a pint or two and a couple of nights rest in a proper bed!

Have to say that he is a braver (or stupider) man that me - i like going potholing, abseiling etc as they can get your heart pumping but this is a whole other world of heart pumping...

We need more people like him doing "stupid" things because they can...

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Pint

The exact location of Rockall

You mean it's been behind my screen all this time? Amazing!

Pints all round for Mr Hancock, who has had somewhat more than his eponymous half hour.

1. Dr Who

Re: The exact location of Rockall

It's easy to find. It's right in the middle of Fuckall.

3. ukgnome
    Thumb Up

Typical Google

No streetview of the locations you actually want!

Bloody amazing chap - I'm just pleased he didn't have to squeeze gulls for precious sustenance.

4. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Congratulations!

Although I'm puzzled how he managed to claim the group occupation record being there alone... Oh. What do you mean, "my precioussss"?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Congratulations!

Fair point. Longest record, naturally.

5. SW10
    Coat

Will there be...

...a bowl of Knice hot soup for Knick on the Knorr?

(Mine's the one with a sachet in the pocket.)

6. Peter Simpson 1
    Flame

Fireworks?

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute vessel Knorr

We see it when it's in port, every time we take the state ferry to Martha's Vineyard.

...they set off a barrage of fireworks in my honour from their rear deck...

All fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts (hah!)...so they must have stopped at a port at which it was legal to buy them (any southern state), right? Kidding...it's important to celebrate an achievement like this and I commend the crew of Knorr for being prepared to do so!

Well done that man...or was it just an excuse to remove himself from modern life for a month and a half? Either way...Thoreau would be proud!

7. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Well done, that man

See title....excellent achievement

8. mark 63 Silver badge

worlds remotest outcrop? its only 2 inches off scotland on that map.

I'm also deeply suspicious about Heathrow being "busiest airport in the world" and the channel being "busiest shipping lanes in the world" as I am continually hearing - jus seems to be something said amongst over prideful british folks. I bet you get different answers if you ask in other parts of the world

dubai and rotterdam surely?

1. John 62

Well, it doesn't have any other land anywhere round it. Supposedly there's a very isolated grouping of islands in the Pacific, but this is a single islet.

The English Channel services most of Northern Europe, which is a very densely populated and relatively rich area of the world, which just happens to keep very good records of shipping. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1000/busiest-shipping-lane/

As for airports, Heathrow is very busy (busiest in Europe), but Atlanta ATL is by far the busiest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic#2014_statistics

1. Allan George Dyer
        Trollface

But Atlanta is mostly local flights, Heathrow is almost all International.

Yeah, troll. 'Round here we have the "Worlds longest combined road-rail suspension bridge". Choose the category carefully, and anything can be a world-beater.

9. Fullbeem

Streetmap

Cumon Google pull your finger out, no Google Map view, satellite view let alone streetview.

I wanna explore, from behind my keyboard!

I will submit my £10 to HFH via his justgiving account tomorrow (payday)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon