back to article Arcserve on split-up with CA Technologies: 'We’re a startup now. We’re really hungry'

Arcserve execs are insisting that the business's recent spinout from software giant CA to Marlin should help it compete better in the market. While CA may have decided to invest the money from the sell-off of arcserve elsewhere, the data protection biz says its product has a bright future, as VP worldwide sales Chris Ross was …

1. Captain Scarlet
    Coffee/keyboard

SQL 20214

Wow ArcServe supports future MSSQL products from 18200 years ahead!!

:O

2. Adrian Harvey
    Coat

What's old is new again

New! Windows Centric! Startup! ?!?

I remember when Cheyenne Arcserve was *the* way to backup Novell Netware servers.

Sigh. I'll get me coat.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Customers want one solution [for P and V servers.]

I wouldn't argue against this - but in my experience it doesn't work very well, its complex and difficult to manage. Also Physical servers are a shrinking market, hence their customer base would potentially diminish year or year.

Best of luck to them... lets how they deliver lean products rather than the bloat crap CA usually punts out!

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

That all sounds very promising and buoyant

If only I knew what they were talking about.

Some sort of backup system?

I seem to recall Arcserve did a LAN system for small businesses. Smallish scale but very cheap.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, now that CA is no longer being a vampire to the Arcserve product, any sales and maintenance sold, the profits can go back into the product, rather than CA putting it elsewhere.

6. Benno

r16.5

We're currently using the r16.5 version of Arcserve, Arcserve D2D & Host-Based (VM) backup. Not quite unified in that release, but pretty close. Tape is still a dedicated product, with D2D plugins, but the Central Protection Manager & Host-Based backups are integrated web apps. Once we got everything setup (biggest issue was having to manually add license keys on each P-node), I pretty much just check my mailbox each morning to look at all the results.

Recovered a few VM's that have been nuked by the applications guys (whoops, did we just drop a table in the PROD DB?), and file-level restores, but no bare-metal 'P' recoveries yet. All of our critical systems ar VM's, the only physical systems are basically SOE desktops with a few 'important' files on them, D2D was just a good option for some peace of mind.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like