back to article Microsoft rolls up more Windows Server 2012 R2 updates

Microsoft has issued a new “rollup” of enhancements and fixes to Windows Server 2012 R2. The new rollup is the third for the OS and, as is described here, offers downloads for more than 40 issues. Perhaps the most notable addition is the Office 365 management pack, as it gives Windows Server admins the chance to “monitor the …

1. dan1980

Server 2012 R2?

I think we might mean System Center 2012 R2.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pure genius

Selling O365 and then selling a package to "health check" it that needs a windows server license

1. Hellcat

Re: Pure genius

If you already have SCOM in place, it makes sence to add a management pack if 365 is a big component of your IT services. Beats having to get someone to browse to http://status.office365.com/ every 5 minutes (which you can do from any OS or browser).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"selling a package to "health check" it that needs a windows server license"

There is no charge for the System Centre update - and no specific charge for using it to monitor Office 365 health. And Office 365 is sold as PaaS so no need to worry about OS licensing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Read again, the comment says a Windows license, not anything additional. And if O365 is sold as PaaS, why would you need a Windows server to "health check" it?

1. dan1980

@AC

I am having trouble understanding exactly what you are saying - the blank nature of text communication means subtlety is lost.

So, the explanation is that this article is, despite the title, about an upgrade to System Center 2012 R2, which is a suite of management products that one would install locally to support your IT environment.

The component in question in this thread is the new 'Management Pack', which is an add-in for System Center Operations Manager (SCOM/OpsMgr). This particular update is clearly aimed at companies with split deployments - either with in house systems and e-mail/Lync/Sharepoint hosted on O365 or with branch offices operating with O365.

For those deployments, they may well already be using OpsMgr to monitor their in-house systems so it's a valuable addition to bring the hosted portion into the same 'pane'.

For those running this, what's the difference between this one and the one already available for 2007 R2? Is it just that the old MP doesn't work on 2012 R2 and it has taken this long to release one for 2012/R2? Or is it an expanded MP with new functionality?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Read again, the comment says a Windows license, not anything additional."

I can only assume you are dyslexic. The comment specifically says a Windows SERVER license. Not a Windows license.

"And if O365 is sold as PaaS, why would you need a Windows server to "health check" it?""

You don't necessarily need it - there is a website to provide the same information if you want it via PaaS. This is for the many organisations that have their monitoring / alerting / event correlation via SCOM - and saves scraping the web page, etc for the required status info.

1. Hellcat

You will also need a SCOM licence which I believe will hurt your pocket more than the Windows Server licence you might need to install it on.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

System Centre is licensed as a suite now days by number of clients. Pretty sure there is no such thing as a SCOM Server license,,,,

1. dan1980

The problem here is that when people post as ACs and have an argument between them, it's very difficult to know who's who.

Whatever the case, you need licenses beyond that required for Office 365. I don't see this as a problem because you're not going to deploy SCOM just to monitor O365.

Short version - it's a 'nice to have' addition to SCOM for those already running it and also using O365 - though I still don't know what the difference is between this MP and the one already available for 2007 R2.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like