back to article Microsoft throws old versions of Internet Explorer under the bus

Microsoft has confirmed that it's ending support for old versions of Internet Explorer, and it's giving you just shy of 18 months to get up to date. Roger Capriotti, director of the IE team, blogged on Thursday that beginning on January 12, 2016, only the most recent version of IE on any supported version of Windows will …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best Browser

IE - the best browser for downloading Firefox or Chrome with.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Best Browser

I dunno about that, it's a close call between IE and running ftp with cmd.exe.

2. edge_e
      Coat

there's an apt for that

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

I thought a comment like that would emerge…

1. present_arms

I found it Yum(my)

2. Fungus Bob
          Facepalm

Oh, yum, tarballs again!

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Linux

sorry, but my

'yum' beats your 'apt'.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

zypper it up, please

2. Chika
          Linux

Oh, zypp it!

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'yum' beats your 'apt'.

Really, how about pacman?

3. RAMChYLD

Except that Seamonkey isn't in any of the *buntu's repo. And Debian stopped carrying it in favor of their spinoff called IceApe.

No, you have to manually add a repo to get Seamonkey.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Except that Seamonkey isn't in any of the *buntu's repo. And Debian stopped carrying it in favor of their spinoff called IceApe.

No, you have to manually add a repo to get Seamonkey."

There's a repo for Seamonkey? I just download the tarball, punt it to /opt & extract.

2. dajames
          Facepalm

Seamonkey

... Debian stopped carrying it in favor of their spinoff called IceApe.

Iceape isn't a "spinoff" ... it's Seamonkey with Mozilla's (trademarked) branding removed.

1. A Known Coward

Re: Seamonkey

"Iceape isn't a 'spinoff' ... it's Seamonkey with Mozilla's (trademarked) branding removed."

And they were forced to remove that branding because ...

Yes, that's correct, they modified the code. It's a fork of Seamonkey, a spin-off, it's a knock-off, it's not the genuine article.

Speaking as an open source developer who is about 5 minutes away from requiring Debian to stop using a trademark for the same reason. Their buggy, broken packages which apply unauthorized patches are damaging to the reputation of many software projects. That's when they aren't introducing huge security flaws (SSH keys etc).

3. Mikel

I was just explaining this to a nontechnical end user. The blue e is the tool included with Windows that pros use to install the software you need to access the Internet safely.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IE: the Notepad of browsers.

It's bundled with the OS, ticks a box.

You use it once on a new machine, then install a proper one.

5. Julian Taylor
      IT Angle

Never mind, Modernizr's being doing most of the heavy lifting for MSFT for the past 5 years anyway.

6. NogginTheNog
      FAIL

Sorry but total fail to any IT professional recommending Chrome.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge
        Coat

Sorry but total fail to any IT professional recommending Chrome.

I know. They should be using Lynx instead.

2. Wisteela
        Facepalm

"Sorry but total fail to any IT professional recommending Chrome."

And why's that then, oh obvious pro?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Sorry but total fail to any IT professional recommending Chrome."

+1 - Chrome has had vastly more security holes than current IE versions. The last 4 major releases of IE have all been faster then the current version of Chrome at the time. Not to mention that Chrome is spyware by design.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Not to mention that Chrome is spyware by design."

So is windows.

Now excuse me, I need to search for my private documents on my local network, but have that all reported to Microsoft along with my username, e-mail address and password so that they can include Bing results.

Grand.

7. Daniel von Asmuth
      Windows

It may not be the best browser, but what about all those web site that work only with IE6?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My computer

already ended support for IE long ago.

3. Buzzword

Product to Service

It's amazing how quickly we've shifted from the idea that software is a product you buy once (with a service pack or two to fix bugs later) to the idea that it's a service which is constantly kept up-to-date. It works surprisingly well for consumers (e.g. on smartphones), but businesses are taking a while to adapt to this new reality. Hence companies still using Windows XP today.

1. MrRtd

Re: Product to Service

This is true. However going the purely subscription-based model is not ideal for all users or for all software.

I believe there should be a choice between buy once use forever (with a time limited support period) or the subscription model.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's also worth mentioning that software is becoming less of a standalone product and more of a subsidy. Google gives away Android to get users buying from Google Play and viewing AdSense ads. Apple gives away OS X because they make far more money on the Mac hardware. Microsoft loses out in this situation inherently, because they don't have any popular products or services that Windows acts as a subsidy for.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Microsoft loses out in this situation inherently, because they don't have any popular products or services that Windows acts as a subsidy for.

Office? Exchange?

1. hplasm
            Devil

"Office? Exchange?"

He did say 'popular products'

1. chivo243 Silver badge
              Joke

I think we have to distinguish "popular" and "default".

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Office? Exchange?"

Nope - those are both vast profit makers in their own right.

Perhaps Bing?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Google gives away Android to get users buying from Google Play and viewing AdSense ads

Google gives away Android to steal data and get users buying from Google Play and viewing AdSense ads

FIFY

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Google gives away Android ...

And Microsoft can't even give away anything.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> "Google gives away Android to steal data"

Sorry, perhaps I'm showing my ignorance (I've never used Android), but how are they "stealing" data?

Please explain, in your own words without echoing your fellow fanboy keyboard-warrior forum trolls.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Google gives away Android to steal data and get users buying from Google Play and viewing AdSense ads

I agree with your sentiment, but technically speaking they're not 'stealing' anything since it's all made clear in their T&Cs, even though of course almost no-one ever reads them!

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Google gives away Android ..."

...because most of it was originally free.

And in any case, one of the frequent gripes about Android is that they *don't* give it away free. Instead, you are frequently left with the version that your product shipped with, bugs and all.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Buzzword - Re: Product to Service

It's amazing how quickly we were shafted... sorry! I meant shifted to the idea that it's a service.

3. Mikel

Not as suddenly as we went to the concept of paying for software. Believe it or not, once upon a time that you might charge money for that was absurd.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Believe it or not, once upon a time that you might charge money for that was absurd."

Ah yes, the good old days when total vendor lock-in was just taken for granted as the only conceivable business model, if only because no-one except the original vendor had adequate documentation to write programs.

4. stephajn

I only wish....

.....that they didn't wait quite so long. I'm working on a project that has as its mandate to support IE9 and later. For the most part I haven't run into TOO many problems with it. But if I had my way I'd drop support for IE9 and say you need IE10 and later. But alas.....because of the reasons stated in the article with Windows Vista, IE9 still has to stay on our radar, and thus things like <input type=number> just can't get used yet.

Anyone at Microsoft listening.....if you could hustle it up a bit and drop support for IE9....that'd be great...really....just....yeah. :)

1. dogged

Re: I only wish....

Fixable.

Modernizr.load({

test: Modernizr.inputtypes.number,

nope: "js/jquery-ui.custom.js",

callback: function() {

$("input[type=number]").spinner();

}

});

There ya go.

2. Kubla Cant
      Unhappy

mandate to support IE9 and later

IE9? Luxury!

I'm working on a project where the "corporate standard" is IE8. Even if you install IE10, there's a setting in Group Policy that makes it pretend to be IE8, and naturally only a BOFH can change that.

Users are constantly complaining about the slow performance of the web UI. It's fine on IE10, but it runs like cold molasses on IE8.

1. chris lively

Sounds like you are working in a place whose only real answer is to fire IT administration. I'd leave

5. pip25
    Meh

I cannot upgrade

IE10 requires a "platform update" (KB2670838) to be installed on Windows 7 that completely breaks Aero on my desktop, so I'm stuck with IE9. Well, at least I don't use it much...

1. Mint Sauce
      Stop

Re: I cannot upgrade

Likewise. At work I am running Windows 8, which only supports, er, IE10. You need 8.1 to run IE11, and the upgrade is not [currently] available to me. My win 7 machine at home runs IE11 perfectly fine of course. Way to go, Microsoft!

Firefox is my usual browser of choice but I still use IE for a few work related sites

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Same here! And I'm unable to upgrade to 8.1 because my graphics card is incompatible with it - even though it works on 8.0!

Fortunately, X supports it.

2. sabroni Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: completely breaks Aero on my desktop

Indeed, who can work without translucent windows!

3. Hans 1

You run aero ???? Seriously? You are wasting resources. Turn that crap off and your computer will fly!

6. Denarius
    Unhappy

this is terrible

More sense from Microsoft. Where is my pet hate object going to come from? Current government data snatching wont do as it has not the class of M$ in the old days.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like