back to article Apple, Intel, Google told to stop being tightwads and pay out MORE in wage-fix settlement

A US Judge has smited an attempt by Apple, Intel, Adobe and Google to settle their wage-fixing case with former employees. Judge Lucy Koh ruled Friday that the $324.5m settlement deal the firms had negotiated with the plaintiffs' attorneys does not adequately compensate their ex-workers. The former employees claimed that the …

1. Irony Deficient

A US Judge has smited an attempt

Shaun, we have so few strong verbs left in English; why not use its strong participle? A US judge has smitten an attempt better preserves that sense of just deserts.

1. Steve Knox
      Happy

Re: A US Judge has smited an attempt

Yes, but an even better phrasing would be:

Apple, Google, et al. smitten by Judge Lucy Koh.

1. frank ly
        Happy

@ Steve Knox Re: A US Judge has smited an attempt

There is something about a woman in a voluminous black robe.

2. Steve Todd

Shouldn't the correct verb be smote? Past participle.

Thus it should read "A US Judge smote an attempt"

1. Irony Deficient

Steve, smote is a preterite (for the past tense), not a past participle (for the perfect aspect). Compare smite with write, its closest surviving kin in modern English from the Type I Germanic verbs; wrote is the preterite, written is the past participle. Your example is correct for a past tense statement, but has smitten (or has smited, if one must) would be needed for a statement in the present perfect.

2. William Donelson

When are we going to see criminal prosecutions of the super-rich and corporate directors in America?

Nothing, nothing, nothing will change until that happens.

1. Tom 35

Never

They settle for some pocket change, admit no wrong doing, The lawyers take almost all of the cash.

Repeat.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

6 months of Saturdays doing P.D. in a jumpsuit picking up litter, for the executives involved, would be an actual result.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And why do you think it will work?

Look at Berlusconi doing PD - it turned into a publicity stunt with the reporters waiting at the retirement home doors to get snaps. I do not thing Larry Page doing it will be any different.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Who ever said they would be sent to pick up litter at retirement homes ?

Send them to clean up the sewers. Let's see the TV crews report on that.

4. Ken Darling

Lucy Koh Crusoe

I always thought it was Robinson Crusoe who 'ruled' Friday.

Turns out it was Lucy Koh.

5. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Go

The Chinese are jumping off buildings for joy.

I am thankful that at least the Judge knows how bad this looks in world eyes.

6. asdf

finally that dumb lady did something right

Hell yes jack up the punitive damages as these are some of the biggest companies in the world. Send a very clear message that free market capitalism as opposed to crony capitalism (what we really have in the US) requires a free and transparent market for labor as well as goods.

7. earlyjester

Can we all get in on this, my company pays at market rates (so they say....) if these companies kept salaries lower than they should have been then has everyone in my company been affected.

Most companies have a market rate pay policy so the number of people this could have affected is crazy.

8. camnai

Had there been a Technical Workers Union, this would never have happened, and most of you would be making a lot more money. But I guess unions are old-fashioned and stultifying. Oh, and you have to pay dues, too.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

RE: Unions

@camnai not old-fashioned - just vintage.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like