back to article Pivotal puts all its eggs in one basket

EMC Federation member Pivotal has put all its eggs in one basket, by releasing the first version of its AppSuite. Pivotal's core belief is that big data, and cloud-era-and-cloud-scale applications delivered to a variety of devices, both need to be built on rather different foundations to those aimed at other architectures. To …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry

But I just rushed over to their site to maybe download the new AppSuite and give it a go. That company is a flippin mess, right from the get go when Maritz gave some press announcement thing from the lunchroom and it was all staged. No one can look at their website and figure out precisely what they do, and I would bet good money, they don't know either. At OSCON people were using their demo shit wondering what the hell it was all about. Here, look at our Rabbit MQ emulator, now look at our Hadoop implementation, now look at Cloud Foundry, and don't forget our other tools we can't explain, etc. It's a disorganized mess. But don't take my word for it, rush on over to the site and check out the AppSuite and the litany of other disintegrated offerings... it isn't what you think it is, if you can find it. The whole thing reminds me of an extended ADD senior moment from their fearless leader. I think everyone had high hopes that it would be this cool webstack with big data integrated directly in the stack, then the first thing they popped out was a Hadoop stack and nothing else. Huh? I wish them well and all, but creating a mess of confusion isn't the way to win this market battle. There are too many contenders vying for the attention of devs and implementers. Just give us the cool stack you said you were building http://www.zdnet.com/emcs-pivotal-initiative-takes-off-with-enterprise-paas-debut-7000014424/ One easy scripted install and boom, a web stack up and running with analytics built right in. This grabbing at straws and following the lastest shiny thing and creating offerings out of pieces just to gain some press to look like their relevant isn't going to work. I predict a press release around Docker soon because Docker is getting mind share and its the latest shiny thing in the PaaS space.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Stackato worth a look

Couldn't agree more. I like the idea of cloud foundry however I found Pivotal too clumsy to deploy. I found Stackato, another cloud foundry based PaaS. It doesn't have some of the proprietary applications such as Greenplum, however I found it excellent.

YMMV

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like