back to article Autonomy ex-moneyman: 'Visionary' Léo would have made HP merger work

The former chief financial officer of Autonomy has struck back against HP's claims that he defrauded it and its shareholders, arguing that HP's execs were solely responsible for bungling the company's $10.2bn acquisition of Autonomy in 2011. "HP's Opposition swells with bile, but its sound and fury signify nothing," lawyers …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a load of bull...

I was at HP when Apotheker was at the helm, and it was readily apparent why he was shown the door from his previous company so quickly. Buy Palm...check. Drop trou and squeeze one out on WebOS...check. Buy Autonomy...check. Rinse, repeat until golden parachute drops you gently on the ground.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a load of bull...

Indeed, anonymous and entirely bereft of any factual content. Nice to read a Title that sums up a comment so well!

1. Josh Cain

Funny, same could be said of your contribution. Well done.

2. Tom 13

Re: entirely bereft of any factual content.

Hussain is that you?

Shouldn't you be working on your defense with your lawyers instead of posting at El Reg?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

True, a rant entire bereft of content, also, I must add, just like HP's rants.

I was at at HP when Apotheker turned up. He was a guy entirely lacking in any knowledge of the company and business he was tasked to lead - in summary, he was an idiot. It did not help that he had the carisma of a bag of nails.

Let's be clear - this Autonomy fiasco was caused by the utter stupidity and criminal negligence of HP in dealing with a company led by some dodging-and-weaving, ducking-and-diving, jack-the-lad opportunists. The company's finances was also all smoke and mirrors (and to it seemed to me their products had similar characteristics).

1. Josh Cain

Let's not leave KPMG unscathed here, they were the company tasked with auditing Autonomy's books prior to the acquisition.

2. rekrab em

And, if what you're saying about Apotheker and Autonomy is true, it's obvious that HP really screwed up and could possibly be covering for it. If you look at the history of the HP board and upper management over the last 15 or so years before this point, it doesn't look good.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pungent odours....

Whichever way one reads this...the HP/Autonomy debacle stinks from all directions.

3. De Facto

Autonomy - is it a technology someone wants today?

Among all legal and accounting controversies, what about Autonomy software technology? Is there any sales success from HP? User base growth? Innovations? Register could better report on that too.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very interesting...

So that's why I was subject to WFR. Oh well.

Why can't I be on the $gazillion end of deals that are full of hot air?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I too was at HP...

when Leo was at the helm. It felt as though said helm wasn't actually attached to anything.

He killed off Palm and the phones they worked on. He killed of the tablet a week or two after launch. He seemed to be trying to kill off the very heart of HP, hardware, with no real plan to do anything else.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like