back to article NetApp: Revenues are down – but own brand kit wasn't to blame

Revenues down, profits up and no growth for three years: that's the picture from NetApp's first fiscal 2015 quarter results. The quarter finished on 25 July, and revenues were $1.49bn. They were $1.52bn a year ago, a 2 per cent fall, and $1.65bn in the previous quarter, 10 per cent less and a seasonal pattern. Net income for …

1. Lusty

Better?

"is not being evangelised as a radically better piece of kit, with the all-flash EF-Series products being shown in the slide above as a faster performer."

If your only concern is raw performance then you're looking at it wrong as far as FlashRay is concerned. The FlashRay is a vastly better piece of kit (or will be when the code is completed) because not only does it offer flash performance nearly as good as the EF series, it also will do everything the FAS can do - the business value and efficiency stuff for which NetApp is famous and generally trounces the competition. The EF series is quite dumb by comparison, so although it performs very well it's a bit of a one trick pony.

It's quite possible today to go out and buy a very fast SAN, but many of my customers are waiting for one which also manages the backups, DR and automation of private cloud functionality, and most importantly fits in with the company strategy which for many of my customers is currently NetApp FAS for these same reasons.

Since I don't work for NetApp the above is based purely on hearsay and speculation, but I believe it's the aim of the platform

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Meh

Hmmmmm

It seems to be the vogue to bash NetApp at the moment, and whilst I'm not their biggest fan I'm not sure why. I suspect the current 'poor' performance is more than partially to do with the purchasing and integrating of LSI's Eugenio arm. After all, everyone seems to expect such purchases to result in instant 2+2=5 performance, whereas the reality is they more often result in a dip. The hp purchase of Compaq is a good example of complex integration after an acquisition leading to a dip and taking their eye off the ball, followed by a recovery and domination of the x86 market. I'm not inclined to write off NetApp just yet.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Hmmmmm

I don't see how you can compare HP/Compaq to NetApp/Engenio(sp?) - there is (almost?) no product overlap in the NetApp case. The platforms are built for totally different markets. It doesn't take but 30 seconds of looking at the capabilities of each to see this.

I think perhaps it is more of companies that used to buy from LSI are less comfortable buying from NetApp as they are obviously more of a competitor in other storage spaces as well, and so perhaps are shifting towards Xyratex and other suppliers, I don't know.

As for Flash Ray I agree with the first poster that is NetApp's goal, though the slide that El Reg implies that they are further away from that goal than many folks might think(assuming the slide is recent) and are trying to temper expectations for launch day.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Nate Re: Hmmmmm

I suppose the real doomsday signal for NetApp would be interest from Larry Ellison.... :D

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Performance.

Warning! The following text is a commercial!

You want performance? HDS, 4 000 000 IOPS on the G1000!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Performance.

So HDS can do fewer IOPs than the competition. Great commercial.

Of course, statements like "we can do X IOPs" are pointless anyway, as anyone with any sense will know that those are in a controlled environment and won't reflect customer scenarios.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow! Matt and Nate on 1 thread... must be special.

Joking aside, why wouldn't I just consider an all flash FAS ? That seems to work and deliver good performance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like