back to article Citrix says reports of XenServer's death are greatly exaggerated

When the mages at Gartner gave the world their most recent view of the x86 virtualization market, the firm offered unkind words about Citrix's prospects in the market. “Citrix is no longer investing strictly to keep up with market leaders VMware and Microsoft for traditional server virtualization,' the crystal ball gazers …

1. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Not seeing the problem here.

I'm not seeing the problem here at all.

When you get right down to it, Cloud = (usually large scale) server farm + hype. Any "cloud" improvements should amount to being able to move VMs among machines better & more easily, use pools of storage better & more easily, and deploy VMs more easily, all things that are good to have even if you don't consider your physical servers you are running VMs on to be a "cloud".

vGPU itself is admittedly pretty useless for servers, but also doesn't take away from everything else being developed. But, any improvements in latency that may be being done with an eye towards desktop virtualization will still reduce the latency on server VMs as well.

2. Buttons
    Go

vGPU eh?

Does this mean I'll be able to play games on it? Not that I'm interested, just curious in a detached sort of way .....

3. phoenixat44

You expected FOSS fairness from Gartner?

Gee, improvements focused on cloud services and vdi ... exactly what are Gartner's "market leaders VMware and Microsoft" focusing on if not these highly marketable and customer-centric service areas. Honestly, folks, if you're looking for a balanced view of products that include FOSS components, Gartner is not the place to look.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like