back to article Video: Dyson unveils robotic tank that hoovers while you're out

Youtube Video Dyson has duly come clean on its new robotic vacuum cleaner today, after teasing the launch in a video last week. The Dyson 360 Eye has come about after 16 years of “intensive R&D”, according to the British firm, and the company reckons it will blow other robotic slave hoovers out of the water. “Most robotic …

Page:

1. A Twig

What we all want to know is: Can it deal with stairs?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re : Can it deal with stairs?

Not unless you want it to come upstairs and exterminate you...

2. J. R. Hartley

Can it deal with cat poo?

I read recently a story a about a robotic hoover spreading cat poo in a lovely spiral over every inch of the living room, and never working properly again. I can't get that image out of my head. I guess you could call it a cat-ass-trophey.

1. Matt 21

Re: Can it deal with cat poo?

Not a bad point.

I also can't see how it will pull the settee out, pick up my sons dirty socks, shut the door behind it so it can vacuum behind the door, pick the DVDs up off the floor and put them back on the shelf, do the dusting first or shout at the kids to tidy their rooms.

Mind you, on the other hand it probably won't whinge about how it's the only one who does anything in this house..... unless it's called Marvin.

1. proud2bgrumpy

Re: Can it deal with cat poo?

I guess it only cleans - presumably leaving room for a v2 that will also tidy up...

2. Piro Silver badge

A true Roomba competitior..

.. Except not, because it can't clean under your sofa.

1. MrXavia

Re: A true Roomba competitior..

The roomba is a bit rubbish.... ok for hard floors but not carpets...

I'd say take a look at the LG hombot, best robotic vacuum cleaner i've found, and it IS a real vacuum, not a sweeper like most....

This dyson looks a bit too tall to be practical under low chairs or even low tables...

1. Mark 65

I just couldn't bring myself to tell people I'd brought a hombot though.

Regarding "The Dyson 360 Eye has come about after 16 years of “intensive R&D”, according to the British firm, and the company reckons it will blow other robotic slave hoovers out of the water."

In terms of price I have zero doubt it will blow everything out of the water including my car.

1. Dr. Mouse

In terms of price I have zero doubt it will blow everything out of the water including my car.

I may just be blowing hot air (ba da boom, ching) but I think I heard that it was going to cost about £750.

If so, it doesn't quite blow my car (£700) out of the water, but it does beat it.

2. N13L5

16 Years of intensive R&D for more than just another vacuum cleaner

"The Dyson 360 Eye has come about after 16 years of “intensive R&D”, according to the British firm, and the company reckons it will blow other robotic slave hoovers out of the water."

For sure, cause a lot of the R&D went into taking continuous 360 video of your house with its EYE, record any conversations and send them back to MI6 and NSA with a scrambled, undetectable, frequency hopping sender that looks like a vacuum cleaner brush.

It can also emit poison gas if intelligence suspects that you've been bad.

1. Mark 65

Re: 16 Years of intensive R&D for more than just another vacuum cleaner

@N13L5: I keenly await the first story of a householder being blackmailed by their vacuum for, ahem, what they did the other evening.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Mine is fine for carpets. It's much better than an 11 or 12 year old with a full sized dyson anyway....

2. fajensen

It can with the optional Chainsaw Attachment!

1. VinceH

"It can with the optional Chainsaw Attachment!"

Or make the version two a little more like this - both in appearance and what it does.

2. Medical Cynic

Cutting the legs off will reduce the gap, surely?

It needs a jacking attachment.

3. petur

Or the Samsung navibot, has had a camera to navigate for some years now, and works fairly well (hard floors only here)

1. Number6

Or the Neato,with its laser scanner for navigation and brush positioned where it stands a chance of cleaning in the corners.

Wonder what the battery life of the Dyson tank is - there's a reason the rest of the market has less suction.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Rob
    Coat

Surely the start of...

... hoover wars, someone let Craig Charles know.

4. Alan_Peery

420 patent applications

This seems to be a "throw a handfull of darts and maybe one will hit" approach.

1. Tom 38
      Joke

Re: 420 patent applications

420 patent applications...

"A method of blowing glass to create a system for cooling and diffusing airborne solid and liquid particulates and gasses resulting from combustion of plant matter"

"A method of arranging sheets of gummed rice paper in an innovative fashion in order to create conical tubes of plant matter"

"A method of controlling a heating element in order to keep the contents of a crucible at between 126°C and 186°C in an enclosed container"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's only three...

1. dan1980

@AC

I think Tom's point was that the way you get 420 patents from a vacuum cleaner that uses a bunch of existing concepts, is to split each any every conceivable 'invention' into the smallest possible parts and then describe each of these through several patents covering every aspect of their construction, functionality and design.

And, you do it all in torturously complicated language designed to obscure the fact that what you are describing is completely obvious or simply an overly specific refinement of a pre-existing concept.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Much simpler than that - he's taking the "420" and talking about weed.

2. Tom 38
            Alien

I think Tom's point was that the way you get 420 patents from a vacuum cleaner that uses a bunch of existing concepts, is to split each any every conceivable 'invention' into the smallest possible parts

No, it was really just about getting baked. Weekend anyone?

Nuke smoking alien from Mars Attacks! --->

2. James Anderson

bong, joint and chillum -- a little help for those of you who spent there time at unuversity reading books.

3. N13L5

I can see how 90% of the money didn't go into the vacuum cleaner but was spent on patent fees and lawyers. I wonder how many engineers quit through this project...

Unless, of course ...if it can vacuum up plant matter, combust it, convert it to a gas and spread it all around the room. In that case, they probably all stayed on...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fruitless?

Dyson is surely the Apple of home appliances..... and I don't intend that as a compliment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fruitless?

Either way, it's quite an entertaining industry to be in. Whatever you produce, at whatever standard, it sucks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fruitless?

Comparing Apple and Dyson? LOL. Dyson are shit! How many Dyson DC01 are now in landfill? I can tell you! All of them!

6. Tanuki

I wonder if it's smart enough to survive an attack from a sexually-frustrated Jack Russell Terrier?

1. SuccessCase

If, when it returns to base for a recharge, the plastic waste compartment is full of sticky matted red fluff, assume no.

2. Shawn Grinter

You think you've got problems.... I have a Great Dane!

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Try a double-coated Husky. They never seem to stop moulting, and the soft under-fur is great at gumming up the brushes of a vacuum cleaner.

2. Unep Eurobats

Re: I have a Great Dane

That'll keep your socks tidy.

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Boffin

Is it...

less than 1600W?

1. Stella Duvel
      Mushroom

Re: Is it...

Provided the charger is no more than 1600 watt, who is going to know?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Is it...

All current Dysons are under 1600W.

8. K
    Joke

With suction so powereful..

It will clean out your wallet and bank account at point of purchase!

9. circusmole
    Happy

I'm a slob...

...will it be able deal with the shoes, computer bag, shopping bag,dirty socks, etc, that I tend to leave lying around the house? Will it tidy up after me? Like Dyson said - it's just a gimmick if it can't.

1. dotdavid

Re: I'm a slob...

This. We bought a Roomba a couple of years ago, not to be a main vacuum cleaner (it's basically just a motorised brush) but to sort of help out when it came to pet hair and stuff.

It had enormous problems with our cluttered British home; it was too wide to drive under the table between the chairs, it occasionally would drive onto some toy the cats had been playing with and get stuck, it got lost trying to find its charging station so would leave the job half-done and it had a very small dust-bin so you'd have to empty it frequently anyway. So now it's sitting there gatheri... no I won't go there ;-)

Judging by the Dyson demo video, they're also testing their version in large open spaces so I'm doubtful they've solved the problem.

I love the idea of a vacuum cleaner that is automatic, but I don't think they've really made much progress since my Roomba was released.

2. TRT Silver badge

Judging by the room space in the promo video, there will be a lot of unemployed cleaners at IKEA stores across the land. Fleet of these patrolling the idealised, minimalistic neo-spaces of their warehouses... actually, will they play nice with other Dysobots?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

actually, will they play nice with other Dysobots?

An interesting question: in the hypothetical case I would have enough money and would be willing to waste on a number of Dyson bots, would it be possible to reprogram them with fight and evade tactics, augmented with laser "rifles"? Regular hoovering may be improved by Dyson, but it's still a painfully boring thing to watch - much more interesting if they were able to chase each other and do battle in some form. You'd also never know what you'd find when you get back home...

2. Sporkinum

The hospital I worked at basically had a carpet Zamboni. http://www.windsorind.com/ViewCategories.aspx?Pid=1291

1. Jan 0 Silver badge
          Coat

Carpet Zamboni? Well, Zamboni was famous for his pile*.

*an extra high tension battery. I first came upon one in a WWII, Government Surplus, Image Intensifier.

3. Badvok

Or even worse - the dreaded bobby pin!

Having two girls leaving these things laying around has made me spend far too much time extracting mangled bits of metal from hoovers.

1. dan1980

@badvok

I have a very efficient method for removing metal objects from the carpet - it's called "walking around barefoot".

Not without downsides, I'll admit . . .

10. Rich 11

Sucks more

But if it can't also polish my shoes while it's down there, I don't care how good it is at sucking.

1. Dan Paul

Re: Sucks more

Sounds as if you need to re-arrange your priorities?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like