back to article Salesforce cloud goes titsup: Users face another long weekend

Customers dependent on Salesforce were kicked offline on Friday morning as Marc Benioff’s cloud went titsup. Sales and marketing teams were left looking at an early start to the weekend as their CRM-as-a-service checked out. The blank screens seemed to be the result of a problem in two of the company’s instances serving EMEA …

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Today's weather

Fair to partly cloudy with a 20% chance of rain. Winds out of the south, 10-15.

Expect delays.

1. Velv

Re: Today's weather

I'm not a Salesman.

I never wanted to do this job in the first place!

I... I wanted to be...

A LUMBERJACK!

Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of

British Columbia! With my best girl by my side!

The Larch!

The Pine!

The Giant Redwood tree!

The Sequoia!

The Little Whopping Rule Tree!

We'd sing! Sing! Sing!

2. Mr_Pitiful
    FAIL

Doh

It bloody works for me, why don't cloudy things I use, crash!

3. Sir Barry
    Pint

This is why I don't use cloud offerings personally. Everything is on my computer/external hard drive.

Yes, cloud computing can be convenient when on the move, but you ain't going to get far when it isn't available.

Beer as it is nearly lunchtime in the UK and the weekend is about to start!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Salesforce... you make Microsoft look awesome.

5. Ian Moyse
    FAIL

Good Job Salesforce contracts have no SLA;s for this !

Salesforce despite being big, fails yet again and users pay the price. Salesforce customers pay high prices for the service, the highest in the CRM sector and yet this is a re-occurence that appears to be increasing.

Good job Salesforce contracts as standard have no SLA for availability !

For Salesforce customers there are some easy options - checkout independent comparisons of other CRM's against Salesforce at the G2 Crowd CRM comparison site and find examples such as Workbooks which for UK clients for example keeps data in the UK, is 50-70% cheaper and who won CRM of the Year 2014 and 2013 against Salesforce !

1. CloudMonster

Re: Good Job Salesforce contracts have no SLA;s for this !

Not a product plug in any way.

6. TechYogJosh

Typical nonsense

Now the cloud naysayers and the on-premise vendors (read Oracle, SAP) will go to town about the challenges in cloud. As if on-premise systems never crashed. Asked any CRM user, these on-premise systems crashed more than they worked. But then their crash was within a company's premise, so never reported. However, in SFDC's case given large number of customers getting impacted, it became a news. Think about it, the chances that your competitors are also using SFDC and perhaps facing the similar downtime challenges are higher (than if it was only your on-premise system that was down). So in a way cloud systems dilutes the business impact of technology downtime, given most competitors are in the same boat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Typical nonsense

One of those few (?) Instances where misery truly loves company.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Salesforce backend ..

Now would be a good idea to take a look at the Salesforce backend, this from Sep 2013. The current problem would be down to a failed upgrade, in my humble opinion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like