back to article NHS grows a NoSQL backbone and rips out its Oracle Spine

The NHS has ripped the Oracle backbone from a national patient database system and inserted NoSQL running on an open-source stack. Spine2 has gone live following successful redevelopment including redeployment on new, x86 hardware. The project to replace Spine1 had been running for three years with Spine2 now undergoing a 45- …

Page:

1. Aitor 1

No SQL?

Terrible.

It has its advantages: speed, reliability, etc.

But, if you have functional problems in your system and you have to repair some "non expected use cases".. it is a real pain.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: No SQL?

Agreed, though from the admittedly fuzzy description, it sounds like it's a simple document store rather than a database. That would explain having Tornado and RabbitMQ in the mix.

If things do start to go wrong, it should be easy enough to move to Postgres hstore or jsonb and get some of the reliability back.

2. BlueGreen

Re: No SQL? @Aitor 1

I'd not have put reliability on the NoSQL list.

1. Peter Jacobs

Re: No SQL? @Aitor 1

>> I'd not have put reliability on the NoSQL list.

Depends on the complexity and temporality of the data. SQL is all too often a golden hammer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hammer). Massively distributed message-oriented systems, such as Spine2 appears to be, can make ACID impossible (for a given level of performance, anyway).

All design is compromise. Software design is doubly so. (Apologies to Douglas Adams)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No SQL?

And this is different from Oracle how? Ever tried recover a borked Oracle DB?

2. Smoking Gun

Let's all cheer and applaud this one.

This should have the Microsoft and Oracle haters splunking in their pants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let's all cheer and applaud this one.

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate Oracle, I'm just miffed that this happened under a Conservative government, and that it was Nullabor who were in bed with Microsoft and the US consultancies.

Kudos, though, to Richard Bacon, the Conservative MP who spent so much time on the PAC going on about Government IT wastage and incompetence (as well as voting against the Iraq war). This is what he said in 2011:

£2.7 billion wasted

1. Arnold Lieberman
        Alert

@ Arnaut the less

Seems like a good opportunity to reassess your preconceptions/political affiliations/expectations, no?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised, your surprised, about the Tories. I'm no fan, but Tory policy is and always has been to cut Government spending, so it is pretty much in line with that.

Labour have always been the bigger government party.

If your a middle earner, you're still screwed whoever you vote for, so from that side it makes little difference.

1. Philanthropic Philanderer

The problem with the Tories, is that they normally save money by robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Such as cutting the government's cost by increase in the cost for local councils instead.

Such as cutting government's borrowing by using PFI, which is still borrowing but through private channels meaning it's not counted as "government debt".

1. proud2bgrumpy

- Really? So what other way is there to save money. Look - unless you are New Labour who just get to imagine money that doesn't exist in order to buy votes, then 'Robbing Peter to Pay Paul' - or - 'Managing Funds' is how stuff gets paid for. There is only so much money in circulation, you starve one budget (Peter) to feed another (Paul) as and when required. If you have any financial responsibility in your day-to-day life then you 'rob Peter to pay Paul' every day - ie: 'Can't go for a curry with the lads tonight because the car insurance is due' or 'Will pay to get the guttering cleared to avoid paying damage due to damp'.

Honestly - how else do you think budgets get managed other than Robbing Peter to Pay Paul.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ToddR

Stupid left wing whinge

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hey lay off the NHS!

Failed, runiously expensive, overly ambitious, poorly defined, mis-managed government (especially NHS/defence) initiatives with endlessly deep pockets of public funding is what keeps the IT industry afloat - both parties agree to walk away, nothing has to be delivered, no harm done, but lots of lovely dinners and educational *events* have been shared - everybody (who isn't a Tax payer wins)...

2. sabroni Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: splunking in their pants

They're going caving in their pants? Extreme caving!!

3. Matt 21

Top marks

....for going Open Source but they really should have looked at Postgress. They probably could have saved more by simply migrating to Intel/AMD and keeping Oracle instead of re-writing everything, unless it's a fairly trivial system in which case it was over specified to start with.

1. mtheory

Re: Top marks

I can't image that they spent 3 years on this and didn't consider all the options, they must be a pretty savvy bunch if you read the other articles about this. I assume that the Riak system they built was the best option in this case.

I also doubt any system where peoples lives are at risk would be considered trivial.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why does anyone think that moving from one DB technology to another is difficult? Any (reasonably) modern application should be designed with an abstraction layer to translate between different vendor DBs. When the SW licencing costs from the like of Oracle for these scale of DBs amounts to many £M, then the relative cost of migrating from one DB to another is likely to be tiny. Plus the proven ability to change vendor puts the user in a very strong position to negotiate favourable licencing terms. Most commercial apps use pretty generic SQL, migrating from say Oracle to DB2 is less difficult than you think - be brave - give your DB supplier a hard time, there are lots of options out there and the likes of Oracle know very well that the genie will soon be out of the bottle.

1. Philip Lewis

Igronance is bliss I guess.

2. Fluffy Bunny
      Boffin

There are probably good reasons they dropped Oracle (aside from the high cost):

1. relational databases are good if you have lazy administrators - but all those views and joins come at a high cost.

2. their primary need was for a key-value system, which can be much more efficiently done without SQL. This will increase their price-performance point by a substantial margin.

3. if they had any sort of distributed requirements, they are much better off rolling their own (simply by adding a field to hold the date/time a record was updated and writing their own replication engine) - in tests I heard of using Oracle replication, it wasn't possible to replicate to more than 7 hosts before network overhead (of ACID transactions I suspect?) killed the system. Dropping ACID and using a custom replication engine (which wasn't very expensive) fixed the problem

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't know of your spreading FUD for the sake of it or you are simply misguided.

1. RDBMSs are good because administration isn't onerous.

2.Not sure what your point is. Keys are a useful way to access data and make sense of it. They perform very well.

3. I can't comment on Oracle replication as I haven't used it but I have seen other RDBMSs replicate to over 200 remote sites. ACID really isn't that costly and I've often seen even average site manage thousands of ACID transaction a second which is unlikely to be needed in the case in the article. In memory databases up that again, to the point it is no longer a limiting factor even in the most exteme of applications.

1. swansonc

Multi-master SQL databases to 200+ sites with full ACID, really? Master-slave, I get, master-master for all sites, I really am having a hard time believing.

Furthermore, RDBMS administration isn't onerous, but it's not easy either (and it's certainly a specific skill-set). A lot of NoSQL databases are much easier to administer, and can be administered by standard SA's, not DB SA's. You can get a multinode, fully HA Riak cluster up in literally 3 minutes and start transacting against it. Dynamically adding and removing nodes in that cluster also can happen on the fly. I'd like to see any classical RDBMS do that.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Should have used Lisp hashes...

3. swansonc

Actually, you get replication/distributed environments with NoSQL (that's why so many folks are moving that way). I don't need to roll it, its already there. In the case of Riak, they use vector clocks to reach eventual consistency.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"for going Open Source but they really should have looked at Postgress"

They might as well have used MSSQL server if that was the case - it has a lot fewer security holes and a lot more functionality for a start. The clear thing here is that the database doesn't really do much other than act as a big indexed file store - so crappy and limited feature products like No SQL can do the job...

1. Hans 1
        Linux

@AC

>They might as well have used MSSQL server if that was the case - it has a lot fewer security holes and a lot more functionality for a start.

ROFLMAO

Did you even read the article ?

1. They want to save money

2. They said RDBMS is overkill

BTW, nobody in their right mind would consider MSSQL for anything

If they wanna save even more, when are they ditching Windows ?

2. Philip Lewis

14:1

This is far less than the average ratio of moron programmers to top tier database professionals.

The Register, home of the unwashed, I mean brainwashed.

4. Spender
    WTF?

"80 million people in Britain"

Last time I checked there were about 64 million people in Britain. Where did the other 16 million come from? That's a pretty big margin of error.

1. Smoking Gun

Re: "80 million people in Britain"

Tourists?

Dead folk?

2. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

I suppose you are not deleted as dead, and that is as it should be as parents may tell a lot about whats "wrong" with their children, There where plans for such a database already in 1968.

1. Gordon 10
        Trollface

Its the bleedin immigrants innit! Taking our jobs, NHS and damaging our well paid US globocorps.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"ts the bleedin immigrants innit! Taking our jobs, NHS"

I realise you're being sarcastic, but go into many london hospitals and you'll be lucky to hear a british accent amongst the patients. You think they've all paid their dues in taxes?

1. Mark 65

In this regard I like the Australian system (and only is this regard) in that you need to present your health card or you get billed

2. Anonymous Coward
            Happy

"but go into many london hospitals and you'll be lucky to hear a british accent amongst the patients"

"but go into London and you'll be lucky to hear a British accent"

Fixed.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Erm - so you're excluding the nursing staff then, also just because someone has a foreign accent doesn't mean they're not paying taxes and working here (did you ask any of them). Hope the system is a success though.

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No british accent here, after 20 years - can't shake it. And I'm pretty sure I've paid more taxes than you, sunshine. So enough of your daily-mail knee-jerk fuckwittery please.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"And I'm pretty sure I've paid more taxes than you, sunshine"

I wouldn't lay money on that.

"So enough of your daily-mail knee-jerk fuckwittery please."

Predictable lefty response number 2 (after "you're a raaacissst naa naa!"). How utterly pathetic.

5. ColinX

also lucky to hear a british accent amongst a lot of the doctors and nurses in many urban hospitals.

This can be issue when are attempting to understand how life threatening an illness is from medical staff. I really didn't need any additional stress when my wife had our two kids, and they "forgot" to give her any food for dinner on one occasion despite her asking a number of times!

I don't care where people come from, is the level of service I worry about!

3. plrndl

So now we know the real number of illegal immigrants.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Data quality?

"It logs the non-clinical information on 80 million people in Britain"

Er, what? This country only has a population of 64.1 million (http://ons.gov.uk/ons/taxonomy/index.html?nscl=Population)

Surely you can't account for another ~16 million records from births/deaths turnover, duplicate records, health tourists, etc ??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 80 million?

I'd imagine it includes anyone who has used the health service at any point. So that would include people who were here for 1, 2, 5, 10 (or whatever) years and then left, or people who originated here and then emigrated, etc etc. Should easily get up to 80 million that way

1. Just Enough
        Angel

It will also include dead people. Cos you can't just delete them as soon as they die. It may well contain extremely valuable data.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"It may well contain extremely valuable data."

Indeed, it is amazing how many eager companies out there will pay GOOD MONEY for that data!

2. Just Enough

64.1 million

64.1 million is the population of the UK. This is NHS England, so even less than that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This is NHS England ...

So you think those "other" people won't come across the border and use a hospital at any point? or "johnny foreigner" ? they can use't NHS too.

6. Peter Galbavy

"Basho claimed Riak is up to two times cheaper than Oracle..."

Good news, crap English. "Half the price" surely?

1. Steve Channell
      Facepalm

Re: "Basho claimed Riak is up to two times cheaper than Oracle..."

... so Riak must be more expensive than SQL/Server then...

1. Timmy Cratchit
        WTF?

> ... so Riak must be more expensive than SQL/Server then...

On the reasoning that the "cheapness" quotient of Oracle's stuff must be negative? Does seem like the only remotely coherent interpretation :-|

Methinks English is not the author's native tongue.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

He's Irish

7. Buzzword

The numbers don't add up

"It processes more than 500 complex messages a second."

There are some 36,000 GPs in the country, seeing an average of one patient every 12 minutes; making a total of 50 patients per second. That's an order of magnitude less than the number of messages per second that the system is processing. What are all these messages?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like