back to article Retailers toast welcome return of Back2School notebook biz

The Back2School sales fest that deserted the retail notebook industry a year ago has returned with a bang… sort of. According to distie sales numbers crunched by Context, shipments across Western European wholesalers jumped 12.5 per cent in the first two months of Q3 and were up 17.5 per cent in the UK. The sales are …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tablet and keyboard...

Although then the sprogs could lose two things...

Hmm, there's a benefit

2. RyokuMas
    Coat

Old codger alert!

What's all this laptop business? When I were a boy, it was about what trainers you wore - anything less than Nike Air and you were on the social scrapheap!

3. PleebSmash

win sans bling

Is there anything in Windows 8.1-with-Bing that can't be changed by the user? The El Channel article says that only the hardware maker can't change Bing as the default IE search engine, but that there are other differences. If not, one could presumably save some coin on the new breed of netbook.

1. dotdavid

Re: win sans bling

Did a bit of Googling and apparently the user can switch the search engine to something else, only the manufacturer is forced to set it to Bing as a default.

4. Sebastian Brosig

laptops for kids

I bought a couple of fat old Dell Precision M4300s for my girls on Ebay ("mobile workstations").

OK so they're anything but light but they withstand a fair bit of abuse, and have high-res screens especially useful for young people with enviable near-field eyesight. Oh no no Windows 8? Well Ubuntu will have to do for them.

Cost me £40 for the pair (plus the odd spare disk battery etc)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: laptops for kids

They're what my kids have had for about two years now. Good for homework and crap once you remove Windows. I've even used it for development now and then.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Even at 'refurbished' prices of around £200 they are still good value, particularly when compared to a sub-£250 device being sold in the "Back2School" category. It is scary to think that those new devices typically have a lower performance benchmark than a device sold in 2007...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The original netbooks all over again.

Putting an over demanding device on low performing hardware. Instead of them simply joining the market, they destroy it by flooding it with shit. Good old embrace, extend, extinguish.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most uni students i see seem go down the Macbook Air route. So guessing Apples next quarter will be a good one.

6. phil dude
    Linux

indoctrination...

Yes , Macbook Air's can probably boot linux.

Get them while they're young.

Teach them that pretty, beats functional.

Get them used to upgrading for $CORPS profit line.

Get them entrenched in closed software for a life time of servitude.

By no means let them think for themselves.

We might have lost the parents, but there is still hope for the kids...

P.

1. tony2heads

Re: indoctrination...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1404_mba2013gl&num=1

To quote:

Ubuntu 14.04 Now Runs Well On The 2013 MacBook Air, Beats OS X 10.9 In Graphics

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: indoctrination...

Ohh... good to know.

I want an Air, but don't want OS X.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like