back to article Europe prepares to INVADE comet: Rosetta landing site chosen

The European Space Agency has selected a site for the Rosetta space probe's lander, which is attempting to touch down on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. The region – labelled Site J – lies at the top of the rock, which is unevenly shaped and measures about 4km across at its widest point. The Rosetta craft is now within 30km …

1. banjomike

in case conditions change...

what, do they mean if it rains or something?

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: in case conditions change...

It might, if they don't pull their fingers out and get on with that landing.

Mind you, on comets, the inclement weather tend to jump out of the ground and hit you in the ass...

2. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

In tolerance

"Some estimates have put the chance of success as roughly 75 per cent, leaving a wide margin of error."

Oh, and here was me thinking that with the odds like that their margin of error would be pretty thin? :-)

3. Shrimpling

Philae will make a seven hour descent before slowing to "walking speed"

The entire journey from Rosetta to the surface will be at walking speed... Philae has no engine of its own.

1. David Given
      Boffin

Re: Philae will make a seven hour descent before slowing to "walking speed"

There must be some way to deorbit it. I haven't seen any mention of how they're going to do this. The only real options are either (a) use a small engine on Philae itself, possibly a single-shot solid rocket; or (b) use Rosetta's main engine to do it.

For option (a), I *have* seen a reference that there's a small engine on Philae to hold it down while the screws dig in; but that was on a page talking about Lego.

Option (b) would be pretty ballsy, as what you basically end up having to do is to deorbit Rosetta, detach Philae, and then boost Rosetta back into orbit again. If the second boost fails, for whatever reason, then Rosetta will land alongside Philae, and I doubt it's designed to do that.

Admittedly, orbital velocity is only about 1 m/s, so it's not much of a burn.

Hm. Maybe they're using option (c): eject Philae with a big spring. Be nice to have some actual information...

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Stop

Actually Philae does have an engine: an "Active Descent System (cold gas thruster)". clickety-linky

Icon: what Philae can do using the ADS.

1. David Given

Awesome --- thanks! That gives me the magic Google keywords to find this paper:

http://issfd.org/ISSFD_2012/ISSFD23_GC_2.pdf

So the lander ejection mechanism imparts a dV of between .05 and .5 m/s; then there's a backup spring which provides a fixed dV of .17 m/s; the ADS has a maximum dV of 1.85 m/s, of which they're going to use up to 1 m/s for a course correction during descent and the rest to hold the vehicle down while the anchors bite. That all sounds quite reasonable.

The paper discusses descent strategies, BTW, and is rather interesting.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

anchoring itself in place with harpoons and ice screws

Why, when I read that, did I suddenly have a picture of two comets suddenly appearing ?

5. Tsung
    Joke

When it comes to landing...

I expect their console to display the lunar lander game from the early 80's.

something like this..

http://moonlander.seb.ly/

1. VinceH
      Pint

Re: When it comes to landing...

Just suggesting the Lunar Lander game as their console display deserves an upvote.

Pointing the way to an online version? I've just upvoted another post from you, because I can't give you two upvotes on this post!

6. Semtex451
    Joke

Yea I always aim for the G spot and it never works, so I'm glad they chose J.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

You will find an NSA marker on both.

7. ukgnome

The region lies at the top of the comet

How do you work out in space which is the top of anything?

1. frank ly

Re: The region lies at the top of the comet

It's the part that gets most of the sunlight at noon.

2. Grikath

you pick the longest end in cross-section, then flip a coin.

1. Swarthy

The top is the part with the ducky head. The bottom is the part with the squeaker.

3. mr.K

You find the bottom and work your way upwards.

Come on guys, if we pull together we can make even more lame suggestions, I am sure.

4. Martin Budden Silver badge

Just look at the label.

8. Scott Broukell
    Pint

Landing Proceedure commences in 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2. . . 1

. . . . . "Please allow maps to update before continuing to your chosen destination" "Maps updating now, please wait" . . . . .

<== But, seriously, if this goes to plan, that cold beer is for the ESA team.

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Pirate

anchoring itself in place with harpoons

"Aaar, thar she blows, Cap'n Ahab, the Great White Comet!"

10. willi0000000
    Pint

wow!

a bit off-topic here but isn't it about time to officially change the name "Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko" to "Rosetta's Comet?"

somebody call Churyumov and Gerasimenko and ask nicely.*

i'm holding my breath, hoping for a perfect landing and keeping the beer ready.  if i can't reach all the way across the pond to buy the Rosetta team a beer, i'll just have to hoist one for them over here.

if this works, it'll be up there with (above?) the skycrane landing of Curiosity.

* with a stick if necessary.

1. Mark Allen
      Happy

Re: wow!

Nah - Churyumov and Gerasimenko should sent the Rosetta team a bill for parking\rent.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Joke

Re: wow!

I agree that the name "Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko" is a bit confusing. The comet is made of stone, and the spacecraft is called Rosetta, so to avoid confusion we should call it The Rosetta Stone. Not confusing at all!

11. Finder Keeper

A little nudge from that Philae craft is all it will take to put this comet on a collision course with the earth. You heard it here first.

1. Swarthy

It'd be better if they could aim it at Venus. I bet a nice 10 Gigatonnes of water/ice would dilute the acid in the atmosphere, and maybe do something with all that CO2, and perhaps drop the temperature a degree, or two.

12. Anonymous John

"Anchoring itself in place with harpoons and ice screws"

Sounds more like a docking, not a landing.

13. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

They need Neil Armstrong

That guy could land anything, anywhere.

RIP

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: They need Neil Armstrong

The thing about landings is that you should endevour to have the same number as you have takeoffs.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
        Happy

I think gravity will take care of most landings for you.

It's whether you can use the craft again that really counts.

2. Stoneshop
        Go

In the general sense he's right. The thing about 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko is that it has very little gravity, and one could just jump off a slowly passing spacecraft and more or less fall onto the comet without employing a landing craft. Though if you're pedantic, you might want to call this 'landing' as well. For getting off again there are various options, such as a Skyhook-like rig (you just have to throw or fire the line up as balloons tend not to work too well in space), a jetpack or even just a pair of tensioned springs under your shoes, depending on how high the craft will pass over the comet

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With such a low chance of success for a high cost mission

Why not send two or three?

I have to assume the biggest cost for a mission like this with a small unmanned object is operational (planning upfront and then keeping the team in place to track, land and assess results).

I'd assume that for long periods tracking two or three objects is hardly more onerous than tracking one and it must improve the odds substantially if you have a gap large enough to assess a first time failure before trying to land the second.

1. Stoneshop

Re: With such a low chance of success for a high cost mission

IMO, the better option would be not to send multiple craft, but have two or three landers aboard Rosetta. Getting a craft to some point in space, even if that's next to a moving object, is old hat; the tricky (and so far untried) bit is landing on the comet. With multiple landers you have a bigger chance of at least one succeeding, and if more than one lands successfully you can do science in multiple places.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: With such a low chance of success for a high cost mission

Yeah. That sounds like a better informed way of doing what I was suggesting, as long as there aren't any likely scenarios in which the landing failure damages the craft and wrecks the mission.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like