back to article Give us a digi-Czar and more bureaucrats, begs UK tech-services biz

New policy proposals published by tech services trade group Tech UK (formerly Intellect) today seek to grapple with its members being marginalised by recent Government fads. Many of the proposals are familiar - ring-fencing the science budget, making the hiring of skilled foreign tech workers easier, and urging Government to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me or do Tech UK come across as ...

...a bit sad and desperate?

1. D Moss Esq

Re: Is it just me or do Tech UK come across as ...

On reflection, sad and desperate seems about right.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

Trust the UK?

In order for the UK to be "a world-leading trusted domain for data protection" we need to close GCHQ; I don't think anyone interested in the protection of their data is going to trust a country whose government has so much capability, both technically and legally, for accessing data.

And if it's cock-up rather than conspiracy that you're wanting to avoid, then choose a "trusted domain for data protection" based on its past performance rather than its ability to create well-meaning sound-bytes.

1. D Moss Esq

Re: Trust the UK?

A. Several senior members of the industry have declared that IT trust can't be achieved. Acknowledge that fact, they say, take it on board, digest it and give up the hunt. You won't find a world-leading trusted domain and you can't become one. Because they don't exist.

Stop wasting your time bashing your head against the wall and try something else – truth.

B. "Truth, not trust". That's their motto. The truth is revealed, according to them, by using products/services from Rainmaker Solutions.

They could well be right about A. Which would leave the Czar with the same clothes as the emperor. As to B, you tell me.

3. Frederic Bloggs

I'm confused

But is this the GDS that is beta testing a bit of "low hanging fruit" called Spine 2?

1. D Moss Esq

Re: I'm confused

Can't help you there, sorry, Spine 2 will have to remain the object of confusion.

What is certain is that GDS released their application-to-register-to-vote system with no identity assurance worthy of the name. They've been promising identity assurance for years. If democracy is your bent, then further assistance with authentication of the electoral roll is quite an attractive prospect. But no, it was too much for them. No identity assurance.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Csar

The political definition of a Csar is a human fuse sitting between the public and the responsible Minister.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Csar

President and/or Secretary on this side of the Pond.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon