back to article Get ready for another HYPEGASM: New iPADs 'in October'

So soon after drowning the world in iPhone 6 and iOS 8 hype, Apple is said to be planning another party next month to launch more iPads and OS X Yosemite. Apple pushed out a new version of OS X Mavericks – specifically 10.9.5 – on Wednesday. But, according to Bloomberg, by late October the Cupertino iGiant will take OS X …

1. SuccessCase

That is rather major news, tucked down there at the bottom of the article. I see the Register have their usual editorial policies in effect. So the fact iPhone has become the only major phone to lock all user data away from everyone (i.e law enforcement agencies) except the owner gets a single, easy to miss, throwaway line at the end. Apple are removing all powers to decrypt content on your phone (other than your own obviously) and so are removing themselves for the equation and not allowing themselves to be compromised or pulled into the picture when law enforcement agencies want access to your phone. Google, Microsoft and Blackberry do not offer this protection.

Apple have already done the same with iMessage and most iCloud services, (though clearly the user should remain wary about how effectively law enforcement is locked out of those services as they don't physically control the hardware they are on).

The Register, this is important news and, actually, as much as many Fandroids will try to belittle the move, a very good reason for people who care about such things to buy Apple. It also raises some significant questions for further investigation, such as if they will be extending this protection to Chinese and Saudi Arabian users.

1. SuccessCase

Here is a we page they have just put up on the subject of their online service security. It's nice to see some unequivocal language used for a change:

http://www.apple.com/privacy/privacy-built-in/

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
      1. SuccessCase

And I have to take back my swipe at The Register, they have now published a full article I the subject. Makes a nice change that they are reporting based on news worthiness rather than doling out the usual free Fanboi cynicism massage.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

keep calm, don't worry

The usual suspects (Apple Haters) will soon be out in force once they have had their first de-caff milkless, sugarless green tea of the day.

3. joejack

Enjoy that "security"

NSA can still request the encrypted data, then brute-force the password.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Enjoy that "security"

What about if you use iCloud? The reason I still sync via iTunes is because I can encrypt my iTunes backup with my own password, but AFAIK data sent to iCloud is encrypted in transit and at rest, but not with a password I provide. If that's changed and now it is using my passcode to encrypt the data so Apple can't get at it on the iCloud servers I'll finally be able to take advantage of its convenience.

@joejack: Sure, NSA can get the encrypted data and brute-force it, but even they have finite capability. The thing most of us are concerned with is the NSA hoovering up EVERYONE'S stuff. If the NSA targets you specifically you aren't going to be able to stop them except by going totally off-grid. The most secure cell phone in the world still allows them to locate everywhere you go because they get the cell tower info from your carrier (and probably most foreign carriers, through legal, semi-legal, or not at all legal means)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't use any fruit but would if i could pay for it. one thing i would like i s that things are sure to function properly on a fruity device but now u cant do stuff like there is a discrpenacy between ur usinf the cloud on Ios 7 or 8 , bummer

3. raindog

iPod?

Really hoping for a 128GB iPod also to be announced...now that they've retired the Classic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iPod?

GIven that my 16GB (so 12GB available) iPhone 5S need 5.7GB free space to install iOS8, which meant I had to delete most of my stuff, I'm wondering if 128GB will be enough for iOS9...

4. Frankee Llonnygog

Is the rumour true?

Jim Dalrymple says, no.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Archaon

Step 1 - Applaud the data protection and encryption approach that Apple is taking.

Step 2 - Wish everyone else would do that.

Step 3 - Decide that I still don't like Apple's mobile products.

Step 4 - Will still buy Android because it's what I like.

Step 5 - Will still wish that Google implemented it.

Such is life. Different priorities for different people; different products for different people.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let Me Get This Straight..

>Apple has also detailed the security vulnerabilities fixed in the new iOS version, and claims data on the devices are encrypted using your passcode – meaning Apple can't decrypted the files if asked to by cops or g-men.

So- instead of offering a security patch to existing iDevice users, they have been apparently been sitting on <56 security flaws!> 1) published the defects in older OS versions and 2) mandated that you *shall* (if able) update your iThingy to the new <completely bug free> unvetted IOS?

This reminds me of the Goto Fail <uhh bug> in IOS which Apple put out an OS update for without a security update for the matching OSX <uhh bug> WHICH APPLE PUBLICITY DISCLOSED at the time of the IOS update, and failed to release a patch for same until at least a week later?

Yes. I am an OSX customer and was told by an Apple store employee (where I was downloading the security update onto a flash drive,) that my laptop was perfectly secure at the local coffee shop and I need not keep my shiny offline until the patch came out.

Right.

Said employee became ever so slightly enraged when I informed him I had curtailed my internet use in the meantime to my Chrome Book to compose email due to security concerns.

(He apparently had issues with Google..)

Oh yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Blackberry is secure using the user password if you leave developer mode off even without encryption, and Android has full device encryption using the user password which needs to be enabled (along with a password being set.)

My new BlackBerry 10 phone even has the delightful property of wiping the phone after 10 failed password attempts which it warns you about after the fifth try.

I suspect the article is misleading at the end where it mentions that Apple is the only company providing this level of security in the phone area..

Also, thanks for the heads up on the (this time) matching

8. Zap

Tail wagging the Dog

F'ing stupid, 5gb required for an update at the expense of personal data.

MS is no better,

When will these stupid software companies learn to give their developers the crapiest kit so that they write lean code.

What we know is that a new OS will mean older devices run slower and force people who already got shafted by Apple prices get shafted again.

Sadly Google is not much better at writing software.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like