back to article Samsung abandons Chromebooks, laptops, PCs in Europe

Samsung will hit the eject button on its the European PC business after deciding its low sales volumes simply aren't worth the cost. The move will not surprise industry types as earlier this year the chaebol exited the entry-level notebook segment in the Euro region – to concentrate on premium portables including Ultrabooks. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That New PC

I know that my needs are not in the mainstream but...

I won't replace my current Desktop until I can get

- At least 12 cores

- 64Gb Ram

- 2TB SSD drives

at a decent price.

I currently use two i7 desktops as servers that run up to 15 VM's for complex industrial plant simulations. This is why I'm looking to consolidate the two into one.

On the otherhand, my laptop is a 2012 15in MacBook Pro with an i7 + a 1TB SSD. That does everything I need of it without complaint. I feel that there is no pressing need to change it for at least another year.

For most people, I guess that their current devices work just fine (mostly without that abomination called Windows 8) and also see no need to change them either.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That New PC

Okay, I'll try and spot the relevance of your post to the article... something to do with people in general not needing to replace their 2-3 year old laptop because it performs day-today tasks perfectly well, thus related to laptop sales not being great... Gone are the days of needing to upgrade every six months to just keep up with the demands os MS Word etc...

(My Core2 Duo T9660 laptop is happy enough for now, even for light 3D CAD use - and it has a 17" 1920 X 1200 screen, so I'm loathe to upgrade it. Simulation/rendering would definitely benefit from more grunt though, standalone or distributed!)

2. Buzzword

That's a shame, they made nice kit. Orlowski wrote a positive review of this one a couple of years ago: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/11/review_samsung_series9_np900x4c/

1. Kubla Cant

That's what I thought, too. I bought one of the Samsung 9 Series a couple of years ago, and I haven't regretted it.

3. Dan Paul

More than most of us need...

Everything that came after the Intel Core 2 Duo is almost overkill for the regular PC user for browsing the web and creating home documents and managing pictures.

The real reason why the PC business is very slow is: "If it's not broke, don't fix it"

Most people can live with something like a tablet so they don't need a PC even if it can do more than a tablet. Samsung is smart to recognize that and retreat from the PC business in specific areas.

However I built a new HTPC two months ago that should probably last me for the next ten years unless they come up with something new I can't live without. After all I'm "helping the economy" (or that's what I keep telling myself).

i7 4 Ghz 4 core, unlocked processor

Corsair 16 Gb Ram 2133

Samsung 256 Gb SSD

ASUS Z97I Plus ITX motherboard

ASUS R9 280 3 Gb Video Card

LG Blue Ray Burner

Corsair HX750 Power Supply

Corsair Obsidian 250DR Case

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Overkill until they bring out the new i21 Xtreme Firebrand Nipple Burner 78 Core power masher Intel Processor.

It'll cost £6000 plus new cooling system, motherboards etc etc non compatible with i7.

They know you'll buy it...... Because you are foolish Grasshopper for it will still be overkill in 25 years. IT Anonymous deal with this very addiction. Newly released game card anyone?

2. Michael Habel
      Linux

Re: More than most of us need...

In all fairness for XBMC / HTPC a very low end nVidia Card w/VDPAU is all you need to get most tasks done. In fact nVidia VDPAU is so good at h.264 decoding that you don't even need that overkill of a CPU even. Besides as any fule no Linux is far superior to the tasks of DVB C, T(2) & S(2) then Windows Mediocre Center will ever hope to be.

I've been running (more or less), for the past Seven Years now.

Gigabyte GA-P43 ES3G

2D @2.13Ghz

2GB -DDR2

1TB Hitachi HDD

nVidia 520

2x Technotrend S-2 3200 (DVB-S2) PCI

1x Technotrend C-1500 (DVB-C) PCI

1x KNC One TV Station (DVB-C) PCI w/Loop-through to the C-1500.

Problem is living in Germany, and the recent shrinkage in coverage of Astra 2, Eurobird (28.2E / 28.5E), has forced me... Or is forcing me to give up on Satellite, and now Cable. And, possibly that power hungry beast. For a small Apple TV-esq Android Box that can run XBMC (a.k.a. Kodi), well enough. Hopefully that won't be as wasteful as say that HTPC had been. But the DVR functions of Linux VDR (or to give those guys a plug EasyVDR.), has been nothing but a pleasure these last Seven Years. Its just after seeing what XBMC is capable of. I'm can truly see why IPTV is the future.

Besides it was kinda nice... If very late at night. Due to the time difference, to be able to watch both the Season starts of both NCIS, (CBS), and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC), this morning. As well as Jeopardy before it. In near real time.

I thought I was happy with only a 6Mb line. But, this has finally got me to shift up to a 50Mb DSL Line. To be installed next month!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad news

Windows 8 disaster has even affected Chromebooks. The stink of Microsoft's worst OS since Bob is now tarnishing perfectly fine products.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sad news

Oh just fuck off troll.

1. John Styles

Was just thinking this article didn't have the hundreds of gloating comments it would have had if this was someone making Windows RT (or whatever it's called) devices.

2. Daniel B.

Indeed. Windows 8 turned a PC stagnation into a PCpocalypse as nobody wants to buy toy computers. It is only the tablet/mobile device popularity that has allowed MS to mask how badly they damaged the desktop/laptop market. A stupidly designed OS has now killed Samsung Europe's laptop presence. That's pretty damning.

5. djstardust

Where to buy?

I find this sort of ironic.

When I was looking for a new high end lappy last month there were some nice ones on the Samsung UK website ...... but when you went to buy one they were not available.

No-one seems to stock Samsung laptops so it's no surprise they ain't selling!

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Where to buy?

Recurring story. Their channel management sucks rocks sidewize through a thin straw.

Every time I have looked at buying something Samsung that is not a phone, finding someone who stocks it has been rather difficult.

Software - I seriously tried to buy OpenMail for a company a while back after they tooked over it from HP (and before they made a dogs breakfast of it).

Components - SSDs are stocked only by a handful of suppliers, hard disks when they made them were also available only from people I'd rather not shop at (Dabs).

Laptops and PCs - with the exemption of Chromebooks Samsung lappies in UK were almost impossible to buy.

1. Richard 81

You're forgetting screens and TVs, which are quite common, priced well and of good quality. Otherwise your point stands.

2. Henry Hallan
        FAIL

Dabs didn't even have stock of Chromebooks. I had a Chromebook 2 on order since July -- no stock. If this was about customers they'd have made more effort to provide product to customers.

6. MyffyW Silver badge

The Channel

Samsung's problem on Laptops was their channel just wasn't mature enough for corporates to buy through. We looked at them back in spring 2013. They had some helpful people, but nothing like the depth nor breadth of support that others could muster. A shame, because it was good kit for the money.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd replace my Samsung netbook with another when it dies

if only they still sold them (NC120 is ideal) and perhaps didnt hobble them at MS' request

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Swapped to Mac / OSX a few years ago and with all this cr@p with Windows 8 etc. glad I did - free OS updates, fantastic backup system (not requiring 3rd party software), full disk encryption, remote desktop as standard (not just on pro versions) and can still run Windows under Parallels or Bootcamp for a few legacy applications. It's the best of both worlds.

Mac hardware may look more expensive but support and re-installation is a far larger cost and when you compare specification / quality the gap narrows. Users are typically far happier with their Mac hardware and less support issues - so that's a win win and easily outweighs any extra cost.

1. Daniel B.

Seconded

I've always complained about Apple's lock-in sheanigans, and I still dislike some of the stuff they are doing (i.e. Retina MBP being non-user-upgreadable). But MS finally pushed me over the edge with their stupid, stupid Windows 8 "Fisher Price Edition" OS. You can't buy a laptop that doesn't have that ghastly OS, so I won't buy them at all. OSX does everything I need to, so the switch to Mac was pretty obvious.

So you're not alone...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like