back to article Oracle crashes all-flash bash: Behold, our hybrid FS1 arrays

Welcome back to SAN array land, Oracle. Larry Ellison's company has reinvented its Pillar Axiom 600 SAN array as a hybrid flash/disk array, the FS1-2, with auto-tiering and noisy neighbours sorted. It is a general-purpose hybrid array but tuned for Oracle software. Calling its new storage box the Flash Storage System (FS1), …

1. Nate Amsden

maybe someone will actually buy this

I was told a while back that a former Pillar sales rep was brought back to Oracle -- to sell Pillar to internal Oracle users/groups. NOBODY wanted the tech, not even inside Oracle themselves!

On paper this seems ok, but really don't see any reason to give Oracle consideration for serious storage (outside I guess of their engineered systems if I was in the market for such a system). The capabilities of this new system seem like they are playing catch up for the past ~6+ years of being MIA - which is fine, but just means more than anything else the platform is not mature, and won't be for a while.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: maybe someone will actually buy this

Yep, couldn't agree more. Oh, sorry must dash, need to swap a disk on an Axiom, hungry little darlings..

2. oli_from_germany

Strange...

Oracle claims 640 KB granularitiy as "most efficient data granularity" - well, Netapp has 4 KB granularity for Snapshots, SSD- and Card-Caching, replication and so on. So NetApp is 160x more efficient than Oracle and 64.000x more efficient than the other competitors? Not that bad...

Oracle says "[Columnar] Compression is supported only on Oracle storage systems". This is the case only for some years now. It used to be supported before they bought SUN. Why? It is a software feature! It works with every 2.5" IDE/SATA/SAS/whatever Disk.

Disclosure: NetApp Empl.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Strange...

This goes to show your stupidity for an actual explanation on how a Netapp works see: http://recoverymonkey.org/2014/09/09/when-competitors-try-too-hard-and-miss-the-point/

Yes this is directly in response to the Oracle "Why is my Netapp so slow" tripe

Not wanting to get drawn into debates such as this but when they are completely false then it's a must that any clients that might believe un-educated scribbles get the facts.

1. MadMike

A.C thank you for posting the reply to the Oracle blog about "Why is my NetApp so slow". It seems that your link refutes the claims by the Oracle blogger. And I dont want to spread false facts, so I withdraw my post where I linked to the Oracle blogger.

If you ever see me posting links that are not correct again, please say so and I will withdraw my post. Nobody likes FUD (except the IBM camp).

2. bitpushr

The mind boggles at such ignorance.

2. SJG

If you're going to knock your competitors you should check your facts first.

Oracle HCC was an Exadata only feature until September 2011 (http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/508020). The purchase of Sun was completed 18 months earlier in January 2010 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_acquisition_by_Oracle). So your statement is factually incorrect.

Oracle HCC is not simple block compression, it uses advanced database structure aware algorithms that can re-organise data at logical units way larger than the physical block level to increase compression efficiency. The algorithms for this do not exist in today's disk controllers.

You might be thinking about Oracle advanced compression which is still, and always has been, supported on any hardware platform that can run an Oracle database.

Disclosure: I check my facts before posting and I'm also an Oracle employee.

1. SFC

Right, and none of what you stated occurs in the storage array. It occurs in the database, and is completely storage agnostic. The *ONLY* reason it requires zfssa or pillar storage is because Oracle can't give the stuff away on it's own merit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aximus Maximus

Way to go Pillar folk who slogged this one out. Only need to sell three container loads of these bad boys to make that Earn-out math work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like