back to article ‘This is 2LO calling’: Marconi transmitter, IBM Simon and more at the Science Museum

The BBC's flagship tech programme, Click, will host a lecture on the history of communications technology at the new Information Age gallery, which opens at the end of the month at the Science Museum. The gallery is divided into six zones, each representing a different information and communication technology network: The …

1. Pen-y-gors

I think I missed something...

Cable, Telephone, Broadcast, Cell and Web I recognise - was I asleep during 'the Constellation'? Anyone want to give me a hint what that was? Semaphore? Penny post? Messages in cleft sticks?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: I think I missed something...

I presume its going to be about satellite comms.

1. Chris G

Re: I think I missed something...

Yup. after figuring the right way to ask the question Google tells me it is the Iridium Sat phone system called the constellation consisting of a network of 66 satellites. I don't think i have ever heard the name before, although I have never had a Satphone either.

2. Harry the Bastard

i assume it's ye olde point to point wan

if you ignored geography you could achieve site connectivity diagrams that had as least as much relationship to physical reality as the constellations the ancestors came up with

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Coat

“First Smartphone” the IBM Simon

What? Surely that should be the iPhone?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon