back to article Oi, lobbyists. Cough up your details – EU's new first vice-president

Tech lobbyists trying to water down EU laws may soon find themselves in the spotlight, if new EU Commission supremo Frans Timmermans gets his way. The Dutch politician – who is set to take up the EC's number two spot next month with the official title “First Vice-President in charge of Better Regulation, Inter-Institutional …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

take me out

this was Frans Timmermans finest moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: take me out

Who was at the back of the bribe line, when the cash ranout?

2. Zog_but_not_the_first

A statement of account

It would be interesting to see how a four million euro lobbying bill breaks down.

1. Dazed and Confused
      Happy

Re: A statement of account

It would be even more interesting to see all the things that aren't included in the €4M and how much bigger the number should be.

I wonder whether anyone has tried comparing how much companies claim back against tax with how much they claim they spend?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Does lobbying include all the "consulting" fees, advisory boards, and stock tips, too?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Anyone here think Facebook's going to have some serious questions for their lobbyists?

Got any popcorn?

3. big_D Silver badge
      Big Brother

Lobbying should never involve money... It is just legalised bribery.

I always think of Frank Herbert's God Emperor of Dune - there are two major sins, corruption by an official and attempting to corrupt an official; both punishable by death.

It would certainly make things much clearer and perhaps we won't end up with the broken US system, where big business steamroller their views into law, trampling the "little people" that the government and the laws are supposed to be representing and protecting.

3. Dan Paul

There's Googles problem.....

Google only spends 1.5 Million Euro on Lobbying while Siemens spends four times that amount.

Now THAT'S transparency!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing new.

The European Commission and Parliament have been open to a mandatory register for years, so this is hardly a breakthrough. The problem has always been getting Member States to agree to it - they are subject to lobbying in national capitals and in their representations in Brussels, but have so far resisted any efforts to have them included. I'd be surprised if Mr Timmermans manages to change this. That the EU's current, voluntary register is already significantly better than that which has been agreed in the UK indicates how far Member States need to budge on this.

1. edge_e
      Big Brother

Re: Nothing new.

But surely member states have nothing to hide and therefor nothing to fear ...

1. Martin Gregorie

Re: Nothing new.

But surely member states have nothing to hide and therefor nothing to fear

Probably true, provided you exclude the donations to our elected reps and the parties they belong to from companies which want to hide to effect of their lobbying on the taxes we have to pay (because they don't) and the laws we have that benefit them rather than us.

5. Tom 35

lobbyists trying to water down EU laws

Will now have a new law to water down.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

only a few million?

That would put lobbying in the EU at 0.2% of the expense of lobbying in the USA.

7. Swarthy

Can the EU export this?

I would love to see this implemented in the US.

In fact, this kind of mandatory Registration for Lobbying sounds like an excellent idea, verging on a requirement, for any republic to work properly.

8. Mukti

MicrosoftGate happened !

Now the Europeans are finally realizing the power of Lobbies/Bribery/unregulated Capitalism !

Frans Timmermans is clever enough to realize the repercussions, scandals like this has.

Hint: Occupy Congress movement

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like