back to article Shouty investor Elliott makes PUBLIC CALL for VMware sale

Activist investor Elliott Management, the holder of a billion dollars' worth of Hopkinton shares, has publicly called for a VMware sale in a letter to EMC's CEO and board. Its release has been nicely timed to closely follow on from HP's decision to split itself into an printer and PC company on the one hand (HP Inc) and a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

oh hell

EMC's federation, as far as support is concerned...sucks. I'm sure that separating will make just as big of a mess.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great

So Elliott bought a bunch of shares and now bullies the company in selling parts of the federation so they can cash out. What a nice gal.

Shouldn't be surprised if the Bostonians set his yacht on fire.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Total Fail... spin off would be the kiss of death.

So lets be clear. VMWare is a core component of Pivotal which is EMC's 'Green Stack'.

So it would mean spinning off Pivotal from EMC, where Pivotal is a separately run company already.

Take out VMWare, you weaken the stack and you end up losing money.

Spin off Pivotal, and you have even less of a reason to look at it compared to the other Hadoop distros.

(Not that anyone is taking Pivotal seriously... )

4. Mark 85

Ah... the buzz phases that mask the word "greed".

I'm of the opinion that if I owned a profitable company, I would rather rot in hell than go public and have to put up with the likes of Elliot and Icahn. Too many companies see the dollar signs of an IPO and give their control to the investors who eventually bit them in the naughty bits. I'm no fan of Zuck but he seems to be doing it right for now (stockwise) but sooner or later, the activists will come for his head.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about us?

Disclosure - EMC employee (Europe)

As usual, these American capitalist aggressors pay no heed to any employee of the companies they try to rape & pillage. It seems the stock price is the only piece of measurable value they are interested in. It doesn't seem to matter about the future of anyone working in such targets. I'd suggest physical retaliation, but these bully boys are only greedily interested in the commission they make on the back of their "investors". What a sorry sad state of the world .....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about us?

It's much, much worse than that. They're not interested in the *long term* stock price and viability. They just want to make a quick buck at the expense of long-term viability.

Woohoo, you own 2% of EMC shares Elliott. You know what, when you own 51%, you get to call the shots. As it is, this seems to be an extreme case of "wag the dog".

You think you can do better investing that money elsewhere and think other companies are better run? Feel free to sell those shares and invest them elsewhere.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like