back to article Sophos to offshore American support operations

Sophos plans to offshore support operations from the US to Canada and the Philippines as part of a wide-ranging restructuring of its support operations. The plans were outlined in an internal email to staff from Mary Winfield, SVP Global Support, leaked to El Reg by an anonymous tipster. "Another year, another round of layoffs …

1. Stretch

Why can't they just honestly say...

...when questioned on motivation, "so we make more money and I get a bigger bonus"?

Its a shame they have to spout bullshit like "to better support and service our customers", "better alignment", "investing additional resources".

Just be honest guys. We are not dumb and we can see right through you.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Why can't they just honestly say...

I honestly don't believe you'll "save money" by moving your support to Vancouver. It's Canada's most expensive city, and getting to be on a par with San Francisco.

1. StuHarg

This is bound to be a counter to retain key clients that will not deal with offshore support. It will be a micro office of some description with the bulk in the Philippines.

2. td97402

Don't forget:

"allow for clarity in team composition"

Is this what they teach in business school then? Is it really as simple as being a degree doubletalk and gobbledygook??

Oh, and mark me down as never recommending Sophos to a client again!! If you sell it here then support it here is what I look for.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

By moving out of N America would this...

...make life easier for the NSA?

1. Oninoshiko

Re: By moving out of N America would this...

probably not. In the US they are unquestionably subject to (horrible, overbroad, insane) FISA orders. Outside the US, if they are any good at what they do, it's going to be much more difficult.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"The mission of the Support organization is to delight partners and customers"

They sell computer security software, not floral displays, for Gawd's sake. It is like a flushing lavatory, I am never "delighted" by it now matter how well it works, just annoyed when it doesn't.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All the Sophos 'restructuring' that's gone on since going public has been all about empire building and nothing to do with actually increasing profit. And even less to do with offering a better product.

5. dotdavid

"saying that there will be no overall reduction in headcount (ie no job losses)"

Surely it's irrelevant to laid-off workers that their job will still exist but will just be abroad where they can't have it?

1. Dominion

Well to be fair, they probably *can* have their job.... Just at less than 10% of their current salary.

6. Mayhem

As Despair puts it so well

A company that will go to the ends of the Earth for its people will find it can hire them for about 10% of the cost of Americans.

http://www.despair.com/discovery.html

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Lots of corporate doubletalk here....

OK, I can understand why a company would offshore work to somewhere that it can be done more cheaply, but let's not dress up a financially-motivated decision with transparent PR about how no jobs will be lost (unless you happen to be holding one of the ones that is being offshored) and how this will improve customer support (By getting rid of the experienced support personnel and replacing them with offshored labor)

8. StuHarg

Not a good time...

This is very bad timing if nothing else. With all the speculations and uncertainty around security vendors, Sophos decide that offshore to the Philippines is a good idea. The Canadian office will just be a micro office to manage those customers that simply will not deal with offshore support (GUARANTEED). We are beginning to see the cracks appearing as the newer smaller vendors and MSP's grow in the cloud market.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GUARANTEE thats what's happening. The truth is they're firing people in the Boston office to replace them with people in the Philippines, but keeping a few folks around to make sure their marquee customers don't notice. The people who are willing to pay get quality support. To me, this is a good business decision but points at financial weakness since the cost of having to maintain and renew a customer isn't being factored into the long term strategy. To make matters worse, their primary market-- AV and appliances-- are saturated with competitors and is losing share to the cloud. So maybe the Philippines can help the execs get their bonuses, and really, isn't that what matters to Mr. Hagerman and Ms. Winfield?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like