back to article Will EMC swallow cloudy upstart? These analysts seem to think so

Any move by EMC to acquire Maginatics — and the latter’s software-only cloud storage gateway — would be a “very smart buy”, according to analyst Ben Woo at technical consultancy Neuralytics, following speculation the storage giant is closing in on the startup. “Software defined storage is not just about on-premise [ …

1. CheesyTheClown

Am I the only one...

Am I the only one which wonders why EMC even bothers anymore. Their storage solution has become so unusable that most of the largest customers I know of in a few countries left them. Their virtualization solution has become too messy and a gigantic unnavigable cludge of modules that it makes sense to look elsewhere to have something more cost effective even if it's not as complete.

I thank EMC for having been on of the great founders of many technologies. They were an amazing innovator. Maybe it's time they just rolled aside and let the new, more agile guys take over.

1. unredeemed

Re: Am I the only one...

I don't see an issue. If anything your solution would be a cluster of a support nightmare.

In the EMC world, you would have specific array's for specific workloads. Need 5-9's of service, VMAX. VDI/database/high IOPS, Xtreme. Then there is Isilon, VNX, etc...

The alternative, buy multiple arrays from NetApp, Pure, Nimble, HP, etc... Few players have a solid all encompassing product line. Yes many of EMC's overlap to a large degree, but they are targeted workloads, when you have a great EMC SE to work with that can cut the BS. NetApp was on the right track for a number of years, but have gotten long in the tooth and near monolithic.

2. unredeemed

Hold on now, EMC recently purchased TwinStrata this past year, and that is almost exactly like this product. It's a physical or virtual gateway, that provides CIFS/NFS/iSCSI protocol support. As a gateway it cache's data that eventually lives on more than a dozen cloud storage providers, including EMC's ATMOS and I assume ECS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon