back to article Amazon rolls cloud and on-prem into single sign-on service

Amazon has revealed plans to tie AWS to customers’ Earth-bound Microsoft IT estates and infrastructure using a directory service. The cloud giant Wednesday unveiled the AWS Directory Service, which it said connects portions of its cloud to customers’ “existing, on-premises” directories. Amazon didn’t name Microsoft, but it …

1. Lee D Silver badge

Google have had something similar for their Google Apps products for years, I believe.

The problem is not that you couldn't do this yourself. It's that you wouldn't want to be handing off AD traffic outside your own controlled networks. And certainly not handing Amazon (or some Amazon-hosted Internet-based outside machine) some AD credentials enough to log into your network and join domains etc.

VPN's have existed for years, and Samba is more than able to do anything you might reasonably want on the client side (I've been using Samba SSO for years with my Linux-based helpdesks, fax-to-email, web filters and other stuff on Windows networks). But running samba on something openly sitting on the net? Eek. The scary side of the cloud. Hell, I don't even trust Terminal Services further than I can throw it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like