back to article Peep peep! All aboard the £300m UK education IT procurement express

The clock is ticking for tech suppliers wanting to grab a seat on the soon-to-be refreshed UK "ICT Services for Education" framework gravy train, estimated to be worth up to £300m over four years. A contract notice was placed by Crown Commercial Services on the Official Journal of the European Union at the weekend, indicating …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do these places never just specify that the maximum price we will pay for equipment with a specification of "$spec" is "£ $amount" and then just let normal competition push the price down?

I happen to know for a fact that I order in stationary and equipment cheaper than the government. All I did was sit down with an account manager for a stationary company and negotiated better prices based on the quantities that I was going to order. WHY CAN'T THE GOVERNMENT MANAGE THAT?!

1. AngryBob

You have an account manager at a stationary company? You're over paying. I happen to know for a fact I can get cheaper prices than you by just buying off the internet - no minimum quantities, no contracts, no loyalty required...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Except that we get prices cheaper than on the internet, and significantly lower than the RRP for the items.

Hence the point of having an account manager.

1. Tim Soldiers

Please share with us then, oh great negotiator, that we may all benefit from you expertise

Prices of you top 10 items

+ 127x76 Post-Its and a CE410x HP ( OEM only mid !!) Toner

including inc Vat & Delivery also with website ordering & consolidated monthly invoice

Yours.......a humble government no-nothing buyer

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because they have to be seen to be obtaining value-for-money, no matter what it costs to do so.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like