back to article Trolls pop malformed heads above bridge to sling abuse at Tim Cook

Apple boss Tim Cook has been bombarded with homophobic abuse after revealing his sexuality to the world on Thursday. Cook spoke out yesterday to say he considered "being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me". Trolls, religious nuts and plain old homophobes from the four corners of the internet immediately took to …

Page:

1. Marcus Aurelius
    Unhappy

I refer you all

To the comment I made earlier:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/2343589

Except instead of being silenced they immediately turned into trolls

1. Lionel Baden

Re: I refer you all

worth an upvote on both comments

2. Psyx
      Boffin

Hey, El Reg; Was the Islamic one so good that you had to print it twice?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: muslim tweet

perhaps they felt that just four tweets didn't really live up to the "bombarded" adjective and hoped no one would notice the 5th was a duplicate

3. John Sanders
      Paris Hilton

And what I would like to ask Tim Cook after he said that is this:

Yes Tim, we have known that for a long time, in fact you never hide the fact, so you now say you're gay and your point is?

1. sabroni Silver badge

The point is obvious from the tweets printed. There's clearly a lot of people who still need to learn how to respect others and their freedom to love who they want to.

2. mccp

@ John Sanders

"so you now say you're gay and your point is?"

If you had actually read the original article you would know:

"I don’t consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I’ve benefited from the sacrifice of others," Cook wrote in an open letter published in Bloomberg.

"So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it’s worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

You obviously didn't read his statement, or you would know exactly what his point was.

Tim Cook has stated that he has benefitted from the hard work and courage of many gay people, which helped him to get to the place in life where he is now, and he thinks he can pay back a little bit by officially stating that the CEO of a huge US company is gay, which might serve as encouragement especially to young gay people who still have to find their way through life.

4. Phil.T.Tipp

Absolutely. Why the fvck should I care Tim? I don't. I don't applaud your personal choices, nor can I condemn them, as they're your choices to make. Just keep that gay shit to yourself. Enough of this gay shit already. Shut up and get on with it.

1. dan1980
          Stop

@Phil.T.Tipp

I half agree - we shouldn't have to have high-profile people discuss their sexuality publicly.

We shouldn't but, unfortunately, we are not yet in a society where that is unnecessary. In such a society, an individual's sexuality should not matter one bit to anyone and should simply not be a factor in they way they are treated or valued or promoted or discussed.

Young homosexual people are still disproportionately represented in suicide statistics and I that is because they are made to feel like they have less worth than other, heterosexual people. The same goes for the entire LGBT community.

When you have an actor or sportsperson or leader or CEO or similar stand up and say: "I am gay", what they are saying is really: "it doesn't matter that I am gay; I was able to accomplish all this anyway because my sexuality is not the measure of my ability or determination or intelligence or goodness or creativity or, most importantly, my worth."

There are people out there in the religious right that believe - and preach - that 'god hates homosexuals' and will punish not only them but any who help them or even tolerate them. Showing someone who has risen to the top of one of the most valuable and important technology companies in the world who also just happens to be gay goes some way to dispel that ridiculous notion.

The same is true of other groups traditionally and to this day considered inferior by some sectors - people of different colours or races (or religions) and even women, who make up fully half the population of the world.

So no, it shouldn't, in an ideal world, be necessary to have people say they are gay, publicly, but unfortunately it is still necessary.

2. Phil_Evans

<sigh>

He must be thinking something like "I worked hard, studied some of the classics, went to the debate team, loved, lost, wrote some poetry, admired art. I helped build the pinnacle of technology for the masses, I lead virtually a nation of talented people and the biggest splash I've made to date is about my sexual preference". I say never underestimate the stupidity of a fool with a tool (like Twitter). Carry on.

3. Sir Barry

Personally, I don't care about a persons sexuality. Trolling morons shouldn't be allowed to access the internet.

1. lorisarvendu
      Unhappy

The Internet: A combination of instant communication and total anonymity that shows us the filth and bile that still lurks within the human psyche. Civilised? Some of us don't know the meaning of the word.

2. Cliff

Must admit my response to the 'news' was 'Oh.', it amazes me that anyone has enough of an opinion about someone they'll never meet that they'll summon up the bile to say nasty things.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Troll or Messiah

The trouble with banning is that one person's troll is another person's messiah. People should have the right to express their approval, disapproval or complete disinterest in homosexuality etc.

1. Michael Thibault
        Boffin

Re: Troll or Messiah

>the right to express their approval, disapproval or complete disinterest

If your disinterest is genuinely complete, you'd never exercise that right; apart from there being no point in doing so, doing so would make a liar out of you.

4. Annihilator

"Trolling morons shouldn't be allowed to access the internet."

Sadly though it seems to be their natural habitat.

5. Anakin
      Mushroom

Same here

What i don't understand is why anyone have anything to do with the way anybody live there lives.

Those homophobic must be afraid that Tim Cook or some other gay are going to fuck them. But i don't understand why they would do that.

I mean, gays are everywhere in fashion, design and showbiz and is known for there good taste.

Why in earth would a gay make a move on a fat, ugly, stupid homophobic who can't even get laid with a prostitute without paying double fee?

So let's spread the word. There is no hope for you homphobics to get laid and absolutly not with a gay.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dumb Idiots and Sexists....

Regardless of what you think of Apple and its products, the CEO's sexuality is irreverent...

As long as he and his partner are happy, its no one else s business.

1. grandours
      Angel

Re: Dumb Idiots and Sexists....

Irreverent? A Freudian slip no doubt.

2. BinaryBunglar

"...the CEO's sexuality is irreverent..."

Does this mean we are going to see a topical news quiz about this on early evening television?

Paris, just because.

1. tirk
        Trollface

@BinaryBunglar...

The irony of commenting on someone's mistyping, and then putting:

"Paris, just because."

but forgetting the icon. Priceless!"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@BinaryBunglar...

The irony of commenting on someone's mistyping, and then putting:

"Paris, just because."

but forgetting the icon. Priceless!"

OTOH, this user is at least true to his handle :)

5. Alister

Maybe all those commentards who yesterday were posting "iYawn" and "Why is this news" on Reg's story about this should take note.

Unfortunately, although I agree it shouldn't be newsworthy when someone mentions their sexual orientation, this is the reality: a large part of the world's population are still bigoted homophobes.

1. John Sanders
      Meh

How come we did not noticed earlier...

"""This is the reality: a large part of the world's population are still bigoted homophobes."""

Yes, I propose you go to those large parts and convince them to change their minds.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: How come we did not noticed earlier...

If only we stopped exporting our freedoms we could laugh at them from orbit.

2. JEDIDIAH
      Devil

Oh. Puleeeze.

News? I thought it was painfully obvious. No "announcement" was required.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Free speech...

Here's one of the most appropriate xkcd's I could find :

Free speech...

Just because all these people have a different opinion doesn't mean we have to sit back and let them spew all this bullsh*t all over the internet...

1. Hud Dunlap
      FAIL

Re: Free speech... @malle-herbert

Yes you do. That is why it is called free speech. You don't have to read it. You can reply. What you don't have is the right to stop them from saying it just because you don't agree with them.

1. Eric Olson

My guess is that you were too lazy to read the comic. The point is that Free Speech is a two-way street. In fact, to shout the idiots down, sully their reputation, and destroy their business through boycott is the price they pay for the hate and garbage they spew.

So yeah, the reality is that if you open your mouth in a public square, the public square can and will respond. And the response might nott be flowers and chocolate but a destruction of your online persona.

Free Speech is not protection from your stupidity; it's an invitation to be a moron so we know how to handle you in the future.

2. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Freedom of Speech / Expression does not imply Freedom from Offence: in fact, the two are broadly incompatible. However, it also does not imply Freedom from Consequences.

However, the Internet is 90% privately-owned infrastructure, so those freedoms and rights are not as relevant. You agree to abide by the private owners' rules and regulations when posting on forums and the like, many of which explicitly ban offensive statements and remarks. Because—contrary to popular belief—they're perfectly entitled to do so.

Private entities (including individuals) are entitled to do this for the same reason people are allowed to call the police if some nut-job decides to stand in my front garden and shout obscenities at their family day and night.

The whole "Freedom of Speech" (and "Right to bear arms") stuff is intended to protect us from *bad government*. They're primarily political rights and responsibilities.

2. JEDIDIAH
      Devil

Re: Free speech...

> Just because all these people have a different opinion doesn't mean we have to sit back and let them spew all this bullsh*t all over the internet...

Yes. Actually it does. Otherwise it's not free speech.

It's not free speech if it's only the things you personally approve of.

This stupid sh*t is why we had to flee to another continent.

1. Eric Olson

Free Speech is protection of the citizens from being censored, jailed, or punished *by the government* for something said. There is nothing in the First Amendment that protects idiots from public humiliation, boycotts, and destruction of reputation.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not to mention that social media, although thoroughly massaged by the government, is not actually operated by the government.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> This stupid sh*t is why we had to flee to another continent.

And fortunately for those of us left behind, you took most of this shit with you.

7. Ian 56

Gaygate

I think you'll find it's about ethics in games journalism.

8. Don Dumb
    Boffin

So I guess all the 'Meh' comments now understand.

All those who went to great pains to tell us that Tim Cook coming out publicly wasn't news on yesterday's story - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/30/tim_cook_writes_open_letter_gay/ now understand that, while it shouldn't be a news story, it unfortunately is. Just because you don't care doesn't mean there aren't those who do.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So I guess all the 'Meh' comments now understand.

"now understand that, while it shouldn't be a news story, it unfortunately is. Just because you don't care doesn't mean there aren't those who do."

Yes Don, but if you want to know all about those sorts of stories you need to read Heat and not the Reg.

9. James 51

I think Dr.mohammed alhakeem greatly over estimates Tim Cook's influence on 'western' civilisation.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

I think Dr.mohammed alhakeem should learn to write a coherent English sentence...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apples love from non-standard hardware interfaces

is all becoming clear now.

11. J 7

I never realised Apple fans had a sexuality. I assumed they were all sterile asexual clones who were just turned on by technology and pretty toys, not by sex

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who cares, and why do they care?

That's the beginning of the extinction for the west civilization.Thanks allah we r Muslims

— Dr.mohammed alhakeem

Yeah, 'cos we all know there are no gay muslims right? ROFL. I guess it just goes to show that even if you're smart enough to earn a doctorate, you can still be utterly ignorant.

I personally greet Tim Cooks announcement with absolute ambivalence. His personal sexuality has no relevance to me at all, so while I'm unsuprised that we have trolls on one hand, and supporters on the other, I am disappointed that as a world we haven't progressed to the stage where homosexulaity isn't considered good or bad, but simply irrelevant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who cares, and why do they care?

"Yeah, 'cos we all know there are no gay muslims right?"

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/05/the-kingdom-in-the-closet/305774/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who cares, and why do they care?

I am disappointed that as a world we haven't progressed to the stage where homosexulaity isn't considered good or bad, but simply irrelevant.

- - -

There are some people saying the same about their sexual preferences which other people find unacceptable even while tolerating homosexuality. I expect they also call people who disapprove of their sexual leanings bigots as well. Most of us would rail at them for what they do as being totally disgusting, perverted, depraved, sickening, against god, and a whole lot else.

What is acceptable is in the eye of the beholder. As is bigotry. Something to always bear in mind when criticising bigots and bigotry.

13. BenR

It makes you despair

As much as I couldn't give a flying fuck one way or the other as to Tim Cook's sexuality - who or what he decides to shag in the privacy of his own bedroom is nothing to do with me, as long as it's not children or animals - I thought his statement (other than thanking 'God' for the 'gift') struck the right note. He basically said that he was announcing it now in case it helped those people who weren't clear on their own sexuality be more comfortable with it, or to try to show support for those who were taking stick as a result.

That neatly matches my own opinions on religion - I think it's a crock of horseshite, but I'm not about to decry it as totally worthless if it helps some people in some way to deal with their own pain and loss and suffering (and before anyone points it out, yes, of course I am aware that in a lot of cases, the pain and suffering is often CAUSED by religion - YMMV).

This level of uninformed, uninspired, rampant bigotry in trolling is sadly unsurprising in this day and age of keyboard warrior dickheads spouting off behind a veil of anonymity. Like your mum always said - "If you can't say anything nice..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It makes you despair

Just imagine the shitstorm if he came out as an atheist.

1. tirk

"Just imagine the shitstorm if he came out as an atheist."

Hmm.

I thank god from the gift of.... perhaps not.

2. This Side Up

Yes, it's a shame he had to bring god into it.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just imagine the shitstorm if he came out as an atheist.

Thank God I'm an atheist. Oh, wait..

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like